Sponge vs Rainbow

Question is for how long? How long will they be able to manage their code?
The whole point of Sponge is make something that last forever.

1 Like

I have to admit, it is cool to have all these different APIs for server modding pop up more now.

I also like how they have a working version but it to me seems like it is limited in what it can become since it looks heavily smiler to bukkit. While Sponge has the forge backing which opens up a lot more opportunities for server creators to do.

Oh no, no progress for days. But you’re ignoring the fact that they’ve gotten A LOT done in the short time this project has existed. It’s not functional, it’s not useable, but it’s a hell of a lot better than an unreliable API that might disappear whenever ONE PERSON so damn well pleases.

2 Likes

Definitely going to get striked. Good bye, Rainbow…

4 Likes

Honestly, the only time I ever hear about these other mod APIs is when they drag themselves on Sponge’s forums to preach that they’re the best.

6 Likes

Agreed. I don’t get how people think that they can just get away with redistributing copyrighted binaries, in this case the minecraft server.

4 Likes

Yes, Rainbow may have a release. Good for them. Also good for the developers who can’t be a little bit more patient and wait for a quality API to come out.

I have nothing against Rainbow, nor the people who use it, however I myself am just going to wait on Sponge because (Although I can in no way guarantee it) I believe that Sponge will prove to be the superior API out of any of the other APIs that are popping up.

We may not have seen much so far, but is that itself a bad thing? Does it not mean that they are taking their time in ensuring that what is produced is anything but subpar. It could mean they just are being slow as well, but as it has been said, the devs have lives, jobs, school etc. I am more than happy to wait on the devs and trust in the work they are doing.

3 Likes

Not to mention this:

2 Likes

Exactly. Plus, though it’s already been said, No matter how much progress they can make on sponge it’s still going to be a 1.8 forge mod and will have to wait until it comes out. And just because something can be used doesn’t mean should be. Sometimes it’s better to have a homecooked meal than heading to a drivethru.

I don’t mean anything towards these mini servers that pop up though. In fact I love variety rather than everyone using one thing or versions of it like in the age of bukkit. I just wish some of them would take it a little slower like sponge has.

The download/forum link doesn’t work…
Just shows a page that says

User ‘pNQC3YP3kEZzKnR’ has exceeded the ‘max_questions’ resource (current value: 75000)

Also just from reading this thread it looks like they’re distributing the source minecraft code, and possibly even copying code from others…? This project is pretty much illegal… Sure, it’s a 1.8 server .jar that allows for plugins, but… saying its legal status is shaky would be an understatement…

2 Likes

If the projects download page is having problems like that, chances are the project is already on very shaky ground and isn’t going to survive. As of right now sponge really has no decent competition. (Aside from ArrowProject, but that was discontinued :/)

You are right!I’m pretty sure that Rainbow using the minecraft_server.jar for 1.8 is illegal.
Sponge is doing great for those who think that “If Sponge doesn’t send out a download 2 weeks after they launch the project they aren’t going to do it anyways”.The only thing i would like to see is Sponge having a unique relationship with the EULA, for instance:

Making ranks that have fly while normal players don't have /fly is totally fine with the EULA if your using Sponge.

But that requires Mojang(or Microsoft cause Mojang was bought by Microsoft) to say “Yeah, the community would love that!”.Correct me if I’m wrong but Mojang said that Bukkit had a special relationship with the Minecraft server EULA not Sponge.
I really don’t know how we got from Rainbow to Sponge not being affected by the EULA.

I don’t think that was the OP’s intention here. The title is a bit misleading, but I believe the OP has done this just to highlight that there is another project out there and a working (albeit with a limited API) one at that.

Husk, on the other hand did seem to do that.

1 Like

I don’t think it is his intentions either. My point is I never figure out about these things the way I figured out about Sponge.

As far as I understand it the EULA of mine craft comes first. Even if the EULA of sponge says something but the micecraft EULA says that’s not allowed. Then its still not allowed reguardless of what sponge says. Mojang may have allowed for legal gray areas to pass but you can bet your pretty shiny penny that micro$oft will never allow something like that. They would change the EULA before allowing gray zone to exisit if at all possible.

Ok, the way I see the interaction between sponge and microsoft being is that however the relationship between forge and the EULA will be so will be the relationship with Sponge and the EULA be as the latter is based off the former. We will have to see how microsoft will treat their relationship with Forge in regards to the EULA to get any real idea of how it will be.

You can only use the plugins that come with Rainbow, Bukkit plugins don’t work and the ones they have are not good ones.

Forge actually needs MCP (the Minecraft Coder Pack) in order to even function in the first place, as Forge itself is unable to decompile the .class’s of Minecraft .jars by itself.

Doesn’t forge use MCP for class mappings? It does not need to decompile the class files… I’m pretty sure ASM is used as well.

I could be mistaken, but isn’t MCP a bit ahead? https://twitter.com/SeargeDP/status/517027419103186944

Not sure what version that’s for, but if it’s for 1.8, then no real need to worry about MCP.