Sponge vs Rainbow

It is for Minecraft 1.8. They already naming the methods and that stuff :wink: So i guess in about 2-4 weeks Forge 1.8 will be out. Maybe longer, depends how the community helps ^^

1 Like

Damn crap! Thats no more funny, it makes me cry ā€¦ Thats no coding anymore, thats ā€¦ Noooooo!!! Go away from me, image without packages ā€¦ Go away!!! <.<

yeah, 'bout 2-4 weeks sounds about right. But you still haveā€™to remember all of the other mod developers whom have and still are developing for 1.7.10ā€¦
Not to mention the mandatory 8-9 months of Forgecraft testing that ā€œneedsā€ to happen before any mods can be approved for modpacks (unless your using ATLauncher or Tekkit)ā€¦

Its not directly the approving its more the long update time. 1.8 was focused on client side and rendering, so it will be easier for mods without rendering ^^ And well changing from 1.6 to 1.7 wasnt that hard for me(my mod is not that big as ic or tc/te etc. but still big enough xD). As long as they didnt change anything related to blocks/items it will be fine :wink:

Well as one of the Granite Developers I think that the only reason why Rainbow have a stable release is because most of their classes are empty. Also if you would like to check out Granite hereā€™s a link, http://www.granitemc.org and our github is, https://github.com/GraniteTeam/Granite. Anyone can contribute and help us out and it is going to be the fastest API to update with our system.

Tell us what you think.

7 Likes

Honestly, granite looks good. No words :open_mouth:.

I would even add that this is actually worth to discuss. Instead of wasting ur times of discussing a ghost API (husk) and a shitty API(rainbow).

I think Iā€™ve seen people talk about how Microsoft says that Forge can continue to work how it has worked before.This could mean that Forge can bypass the EULA and continue to evolve as well as the Minecraft community.

Letā€™s not forget that Forge uses MCP so it means that Forge canā€™t come out before MCP 1.8 comes out and as @OffLuffy stated:

[quote=ā€œOffLuffy, post:41, topic:3091, full:trueā€]
I could be mistaken, but isnā€™t MCP a bit ahead? https://twitter.com/SeargeDP/status/517027419103186944

Not sure what version thatā€™s for, but if itā€™s for 1.8, then no real need to worry about MCP.
[/quote] MCP is probably going to come out for 1.8 soon.

1 Like

Just to add to this, Granite will not have to wait for MCP to update as we can update for snapshots. Yes thatā€™s right, we are snapshot compatible.

3 Likes

There is a reason this is called spongepoweredā€¦ it is a forum for sponge, now i havenā€™t looked at your stuff but I like to wonder why you guys dont just work on sponge?

Like many have said: Competition is good

I work for the rainbow project and you can all say what you will.all ik is that im playing on 1.8 with some plugins and you are all here complaining.Rainbow might be a small community and here might be all huge and stuff.We will be around for a long time you can bet on that.oh and by the way sponge might be ready for 1.8 after 1.9 comes outā€¦have a nice day
by the way its www.project-rainbow.org/site

1 Like

Weā€™re just saying that itā€™ll likely be DMCAā€™d as well fairly soon. No one here is willing to invest much time into that given that fact. Otherwise, if that wasnā€™t an issue, Iā€™m sure people would be alright with it, save for some of the other issues, like limited plugin support and horrible (no) code arrangement in the devā€™s cases.

3 Likes

Seriously? I understand that you want to promote your poorly made server, but are you unable to realize this is illegal and how unprofessional you sound?

Thereā€™s also no reason at all to bring up the point of ā€œsponge might be ready for 1.8 after 1.9 comes outā€; by 1.9 no one will even know about ā€œRainbow.ā€

That said, have a nice day.

2 Likes

I am a friend of sponge. BUT i do have respect for the Rainbow Team. There is no reason to diss them. They did not troll the forum like some fans of husk did.

3 Likes

If people dont unite we will have to wait much longer for a bukkit replacement. Stop this kids.

1 Like

so lets see you can cut up rainbow and thats fine.If i defend the rainbow project im called unprofessional.and if you read the eula properly sponge then would be illegal.Everyone always tries to find a loophole or a reason to make things legal.Rainbow might not have a million devs working on it but its made it farther then sponge up to this point.so bukkit is illegal so that means spigot is and rainbow.but if you would realize minecraft didnt take down bukkit.so rainbow should not worry.there is no wolf there.

1 Like

Dont take it personal when those haters come up. sk89q does not support them and we should all focus and be peacefull as long as poeple dont troll and make strange promotion campains for their projects.

I will say the same answer that I saying for Husk project. It is good for the users to have choice of Sponge, Husk, Rainbow or any others. The Joyce of Open Source is to make diversity. I will continue to support Sponge but I respect fully Rainbow project. And I repeat, the effort must be given to build a nice project, not to blast an other project. If the other project is good, perfect! If the other project is bad, this is not our problem. This expression works in French but I donā€™t know in English: ā€œA nose is for breathing, not to put in the affairs of others.ā€

2 Likes

I think the equivalent expression in English is to keep oneā€™s nose out of other peopleā€™s business.

Addressing the unproffessionalism you have been called out on, your grammar and and the manner in which you conduct yourself is similar to a young teenager, or someone who is an English second language speaker. I donā€™t intend any offense from this, so if I have offended, I apologise.

As for the licensing/EULA issues, Mojang have made it clear that they are not against modding. Though Bukkit breached their EULA, it wasnā€™t Mojang who enforced it when issuing the DCMA takedown, it was a Bukkit contributor, who, within their rights according to the GPLv3 license, issued a takedown request because the CraftBukkit project was in violation of both Mojangā€™s EULA and Bukkitā€™s GPL license which disallows the use of proprietary code.

This isnā€™t a competition about who has the best server API, but the fact remains that the Rainbow project is in violation of Mojangā€™s EULA. Mojang would be well within their rights to issue a takedown notice. However, they may not do this as many mods have survived in the past that have done this. Spongeā€™s project on the other hand does not distribute proprietary code (nor do any of its proposed platforms) and would not be subject to such a takedown notice. The MIT license used also prevents a single contributor from bringing down the project.

I can respect the Rainbow project for what it is, an actual working server mod for 1.8, but it remains to be seen whether it will continue. I bid you good luck.

5 Likes

I really donā€™t understand why it comes with features that would be best saved for pluginsā€¦

And some others which wonā€™t be used very much?