Sponge vs Rainbow

those commands were added before any plugins were made even before there were plug in devs.they are slowly being removed as plugin devs are making plugins for example Pl3xCommands v0.1 BETA9
http://www.project-rainbow.org/site/index.php?topic=25.0

as more plugins are created…more of the installed commands will be removed

1 Like

Let’s compare all three of the APIs!

Sponge

Pros

• Forge-enabled
  • Ability to use a Forge server w/o a Forge client
  • Well-known developers working on it.
  • Most Bukkit plugins can be ported?
  • Bukkit -> Sponge plugins being built?

Cons

• May take long to release
  • No download available
  • ?

Rainbow

Pros

• Released straightaway (?)

Cons

• Bad Website Design
  • Crap API (?)
  • Bad English (?)
  • Not legal (?)

Husk

Pros

• Active Devs
  • Can at least speak English
  • Have their own API (correcting myself from the other post)
  • Ability to use Bukkit plugins.

Cons

• Ghost API

So far, the one that is released the first, is the one that has less potential than the others. Also the Rainbow devs are disappointing as well, posting about yourself on a thread on another “competitor forums”? Shame.

5 Likes

My version

Sponge

Pros

• Publicly avaliable from the beginning.
  • Native Forge mods support
  • Big community
  • Good known devs.
  • Because of 1 and 3 it’ll probably have better api than Husk or Rainbow
  • Because of 1 anyone can download and build Sponge, no need to wait for release at all.

Cons

• No native bukkit plugin support (Can be fixed with Pore)
  • Not working atm because Forge for 1.8 is not out yet.

Rainbow

Pros

• Can be downloaded now.
  • Native support for Bukkit plugins

Cons

• That Bukkit support is minimal.
  • Shitty API
  • No (or very small) community
  • Closed source and distributes nms.
  • Who even makes it?

Husk

Pros

• Native support for Bukkit plugins
  • Open Source

Cons

• Open Source doesnt have sources avaliable
  • No (or very small) community
  • Cant be downloaded atm.
  • Not so well known devs, but they at least exist and alive.

My comments

1. Bukkit support is needed only for the beginning. Making your project another CraftBukkit (+ another api) is no good.
  2. Why do we even need those projects? For plugins. And since Rainbow has the shittiest API comparing to Sponge or Husk (which by the way we dont know anyting about), it’ll die quickly
  3. Competition is good, as long as we’re not talking about standarts, but we are.
2 Likes

Thanks! I like your version better ;)!

Totally agree, I would even say fuck bukkit and just make a new API, we need to live to the future and not struggle with stuff from the past. Also and I don’t know if other plugin devs agree with this. Bukkit feels so bloody damn cursed to code in now.

Again proofs that where human (or animal (hey, lions fight to so …) ).

1 Like

In fact it is interesting how the thread got tensing just duo the fact, that there is another working API already out.

I’m myself using Rainbow already and already used the API for my own plugins. There are multiple things to say about it:

1. I don’t see Rainbow as future, but it is a decent and very well made gap-closer, since Forge takes for ages and it seems nobody is willing to help Lex getting his work done. Though this is the highest con that Sponge is build on too much dependencies, which make the release very slow (we already know this from bukkit, to wait for a working build for ages).

2. The Rainbow API is really weak at the current state, but joe adds quite much daily builds with more events and methods to improve it. Though there is already a lot missing, most events are there, but they fire inconsiquent. Such as enderpearls can not be tracked, but fire the TeleportAttempt method.

3. I’m quite much amazed of joe (the developer of Rainbow), as we remember said once, that decompiling the Minecraft code to provide a daily or weekly development build, takes too much time. He does the same as it seems and provides really fast builds.

4. The in build Anti-Cheat feature does not block flying, so hacking is a huge factor for Rainbow currently.

5. Last I kinda have some performance problems currently, which are somehow duo slow or freezing file writing or the onTick() handling to privde scheduled tasks.

2 Likes

since the last post here there have been 3 updated jar files with alot of fixes…some to the anti-cheat and one of the devs is making a permissions plugin as we speak.and you have performance problems might just be you i have none.

Blood seems to help. Well their is nothing to help with yet, their is no stable mcp for 1.8 yet.

3 Likes

Hello, I am an administrator on Rainbow. I do not understand why you guys/girls are fighting about this. We are just here to help the community of Minecrafter’s to be able to open a 1.8 server with plugins. I assure you we are not trying to “win” anything.

9 Likes
  1. Bukkit support is needed only for the beginning.

I don’t think so:
Maybe most of all plugins and all of the big plugins (eg. WorldEdit/Essentials) will be ported, but only think about the bunch of these small plugins which simply dont need updates because they simply work and are used only by a few people on small Servers for very custom/uncommon server setups :wink:

In my case its a modified WorldGen that serves as a city (wich a plot management plugin of course)

In my opinion, Pore will be a very big and essential SpongeMod :smiley:

1 Like

Does not matter, We are not a “Second sponge” We already have our software out there for people to use. Sponge does not.

2 Likes

Rainbow is not a “Second Sponge”, they’ve chosen to implement things differently to us and they have every right to do what they wish. I much prefer reasoned analysis which can help us all than petty ideology, which contributes nothing of value.

7 Likes

I was a bit stupid when I posted that comment.

Breaking away from that little strife, is there any chance you can confirm, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Rainbow is immune to DMCA take down requests? I’m not sure if you’ve mentioned that above, but some proof that would be nice as it’s been noted by several developers that it looks like you distribute proprietary code. On the other hand, are you knowingly in violation of copyright law in the hopes that a request won’t be filed against you? (Sounds a bit blame-y, but it’s a possibility after Microsoft’s acquisition of Mojang)

I’m fine using Spigot until a suitably developed version of Sponge is available, but I’m sure I’m not the only one that would like to know at any rate.

1 Like

The only people that can file a DMCA takedown request are copywrite owners of the material in question. With RainbowMod that includes only 2 companies, and 1 person. Microsoft, Mojang, and Joe.

RainbowMod has just as much chance of getting slammed with a DMCA takedown request as Forge does (which is what Sponge is built on top of) from Microsoft or Mojang.

Makes enough sense I suppose. I would say then that it comes down to the copyright holder’s view of Rainbow. It’s likely the case that Mojang/Microsoft has let Forge go intentionally. Somewhat how I think they explicitly MCP continue: because it’s an important asset of sorts to the server community.

I think there may be more of a chance that Rainbow would be DMCA’d than Forge as it isn’t a particularly large project, assuming at least they have any interest in pursuing that path (doesn’t seem likely as I have a feeling maybe a few people have already tried to contact Mojang or Microsoft about Rainbow XD). Despite that, I suppose you’re relatively safe, somewhere between not being widely known and Microsoft not wanting to damage their reputation.

1 Like

Anymore questions?

There’s also been talk of absolutely no code management, at least to the extent of not having packages in the code. Do you plan on organizing that at some point?

I am not the not a coder, I take care of the website. I will talk to the “Coder” about it.

Not quite. Forge is immune to this, since it doesn’t distribute proprietary code. It injects into bytecode as far as I’m aware.

However, I’m of the opinion that the RainbowMod probably won’t be taken down as it isn’t simply redistributing copyrighted material and Mojang are ok with modding. It does breach the EULA/copyright, but I don’t see Mojang issuing a takedown request in the near future, though this might change.

2 Likes