Spongeforge server issues! Broken pipe errors!

Not sure if this is the right place to put it, but I’m having these issues. At first, I was directed towards asking my hosts to fix this issue because I was told that it would be a host issue- but my hosts told me to come to the Minecraft Forge forums to attempt and get some support. I went to the Minecraft Forge forums, and was directed here after some comments pointing the issues to be on my hosts side. Does anyone know what may cause this? I can post more information as required, but the server becomes un-joinable and kicks everyone out, while spitting out this issue several hundred times. Thanks to anyone who can help!

[20:12:32] [Netty Server IO #1/ERROR] [FML]: NetworkDispatcher exception
java.io.IOException: Broken pipe
at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcherImpl.writev0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_242]
at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.writev(SocketDispatcher.java:51) ~[?:1.8.0_242]
at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.write(IOUtil.java:148) ~[?:1.8.0_242]
at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.write(SocketChannelImpl.java:501) ~[?:1.8.0_242]
at io.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioSocketChannel.doWrite(NioSocketChannel.java:420) ~[NioSocketChannel.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AbstractUnsafe.flush0(AbstractChannel.java:928) [AbstractChannel$AbstractUnsafe.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioChannel$AbstractNioUnsafe.forceFlush(AbstractNioChannel.java:363) [AbstractNioChannel$AbstractNioUnsafe.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:691) [NioEventLoop.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysOptimized(NioEventLoop.java:632) [NioEventLoop.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:549) [NioEventLoop.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:511) [NioEventLoop.class:?]
at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:918) [SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.class:?]
at io.netty.util.internal.ThreadExecutorMap$2.run(ThreadExecutorMap.java:74) [ThreadExecutorMap$2.class:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_242]

Hi, in the future please read the common crash post of this forum.

It shows you how to properly upload your log files that we can read it and help. That being said:

Who is your host - this does sound like an issue with them.

Try following this guide, which shows you how to update netty: updatenetty.md · GitHub

Are you running on the latest version of sponge? If not what version are you…?

(As more context, a broken pipe occurs when the transit pipe that the OS creates, has an abrupt termination by one or both of the ends. It causes the pipe to be left open while not actually being able to transfer data. This means it is usually the OS being configured wrong, or that some network step between the two sides is broken.)

spongeforge-1.12.2-2838-7.2.2.jar is the Spongeforge version we’re using.

Our host is Torchnode.

We’ve already updated the netty before this, as the forums have been our last line that we looked into (I don’t know why, we make things harder for ourselves I guess).

Also, thank you for the fast response! This has been a large issue for us.

If it’s a completely managed server, then I’m almost certain it’s on the hosts side…

Are you able to get a sponge timings report for your server? /sponge timings report

https://timings.aikar.co/?id=b53bd68dadcd44659698214f221b4d83

So I noticed a few things from the timings report.
First, and one that is probably not contributing to this issue is that your startup arguments are not optimized for Minecraft. If you click on the timings link there is a big red click here to fix link - I would recommend working to fix that.

The other thing that’s of note is that this is definitely a shared host, which is okay if you’re playing with small Minecraft servers, but not amazing if you’re doing heavy mod packs. Along with this it almost definitely means that if you’re having network issues, it is due to the host not having something set up on the OS properly.

I’ve contacted Torchnode support about this issue and informed them what I received on both the Forge Forums and the Spongeforge Forums. Could you please explain to me the difference between shared hosts and not shared hosts? What should I be looking for if I need to move from these hosts to another? Thanks a bunch! This broken pipe error has been cutting into our income severely, so I’ve been paying out of pocket to keep the server running more and more. I’ll check out the timings link. Thank you.

A shared host is where one server has multiple people’s servers running on it. The big negative of this is that if someone else is also running an intense server, it can affect yours because it’s a shared CPU. Dedicated hosts are usually either bare metal, or you at least have reserved resources/cpu usage.

Dedicated hosts tend to be more expensive. Many people in the Minecraft community will tell you that it’s impossible to run a Minecraft server without it being on dedicated, that’s not entirely true but it definitely does make a difference.

I appreciate it!