Status Update - 12 November, 2014

Do you mean a circuit diagram?

Knowing assembly is really an advantage for coding :smile:. Especially for the way sponge is implemented. They are using a mix of bytecode manipulation and wrappers. I am sure that if you know assembly, you can be very helpful to the sponge project.

Its never to late, just don’t stop caring :smile:.

I already figured that out ;). (Or the mail is lost somewhere in my inbox mesh.)

Essentially. But Most of it’s parts will be written in Cedar Logic so it will actually be able to “run.”

With my current schedule I may be better suited to just develop plugins once the API is done to be honest. haha

1 Like

There’s also another google doc, SpongeApiOverview by @IDragonfire

If Sponge team is looking for translators, I could help out translating to spanish. Im from Spain and it would be a pleasure for me to help.

It is a little bit outdated, because we have Youtrack:
http://issues.spongepowered.org/youtrack/issues?q=State%3A+Accepted%2C+New

1 Like

filled the application.

1 Like

Hello. Just a note that there is an extra ‘are’ in your last line. Thanks for the update. Cheers

@3nt no offence xD.

I hate it if people try to correct spell. I mean if you understand what the person is saying, their is no reason why you should correct him ;).

Sorry, but there is just too much irrational drivel here for me to ignore. Troy, arguing with Thomas over whether or not you’re “qualified” is futile, because he isn’t the one who will be accepting your pull requests (of which you have provided none anyway). Please also consider the fact that I am Obama, and anyone can make up random crap about themselves on the internet.

Readysetgo!

I can’t count the number of times someone has said something like this and then shortly after exclaimed something along the lines of “wtf eclipse say import is rong help pls wat r tabs and how i make tem space also were can i downlod spange?”. I’m sure we could all be of great help one way or the other, but unless you know exactly what needs to be done and have the expertise to do it in a clean and efficient way, you really don’t know if you can be of “great help” or not, let alone assure anyone of it.

The fact that you taught yourself something (a misnomer, because you probably followed various tutorials, guides and what have you, and thus did not teach yourself) is in no way an indication of utmost expertise. In fact, being self-taught in something is, more often than not (but not always, of course), an indication of a potential lack of fundamental understanding of core principles and techniques. Your unfounded boasting only shows that you are full of yourself, and in the words of James Hetfield in the (quite amazing) song “Holier Than Thou”: arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand.

As an example, I “taught myself” to play the drums, and while I enjoy the hell out of it, I still struggle with some very basic techniques. Because I never had a teacher correct me, I developed bad habits that are now extremely difficult to break. On the other hand, I “taught myself” how to cook lasagna, and no one makes it better than I do (but don’t tell Chef Ramsay).

Congratulations on enrolling in a random university somewhere in the world. Enjoy it while it’s simple stuff like this you have to do. If you think your life is busy now… Heh heh heh…

And please don’t take this the wrong way. I’m not trying to be an ass for the sake of stirring shit up, I’m just pointing out the fallacies in your arguments, and kindly informing you that what you think you know might not be the truth at all. I personally think that the eagerness to contribute is great, but you just don’t know if you can or not. There’s some old Chinese proverb about how a frog in a well can only see so much of the sky, and I feel like it’s quite relevant here.

In summary: Calm your tits, but keep your chin up, and walk the walk instead of talking the talk.

4 Likes

No offense taken :slight_smile: and no offense meant. Was just an observation.

Like the pic :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sorry but there are just too many mindless insults here for me to ignore.

I was not arguing with him over whether I was qualified seeing as how he never claimed I wasn’t.

Aside from very basic tutorials on Java, I fully taught myself the Android SDK by reading various documentation and trial and error. When I first learned, yes I had lack of understanding. But that goes away after 5 years of practice and also Bachelor and Graduate Level courses in Computer Science.

I love generic responses like this. “you think your life is busy now…” implies you think yours is busier, which is just ignorant because you literally don’t know me. And for the record, the activities that I listed are just the things I have to do by next Thursday. And I did not enroll in some random university, I attend a university that is ranked 54th in the united states. While this is not ivy league, it’s a good education and not some random university.

And please don’t take this the wrong way. I’m just pointing out that you have no business acting like I am some middle school child who thinks he knows that he’s doing because he watched 5 Java tutorial videos. You don’t have to believe that I know what I’m doing, but you should show a little respect and instead of “pointing out the fallacies” you should keep your personal opinions on people personal. There is an old saying that goes something like: “If thou hasn’t anything nice to say, say nothing at all.”

In Summary: I enjoy talking while I walk. I currently have the project fully set up in eclipse and I am familiarizing myself with it.

@TroyStopera @garbagemule Before either of you make another post in this topic I suggest you think again. Chances are it is going to be completely unuseful, and I really don’t want to get one of the moderators involved. If you wish to contribute to the project, please fill out the developer form, or make some PRs. In terms of developer applications, we are partially accepting responses, currently not actively going over them, but once in a while we are.

4 Likes

I apologize. I shouldn’t let things like that anger me.
As for actually helping out and not just getting into pointless debates, since you are a developer and know what’s going on quite well, I was curious to know what you feel needs the most work. What sort of PR would be most beneficial?

I’m not a developer, but personally looking at the github the best thing to do is start using the API.

Make mock plugins, find the kinks, so people can clean it up and iterate before the first release.

It’s all well and good to try and make it perfect and ideal, but without some design iteration its going to fall a little flat in areas.

Wouldn’t this imply that making plugins wouldn’t really do anything? If Sponge’s API is there but it isn’t implemented, wouldn’t it be nearly impossible to find kinks? You could write a mock plugin, but you wouldn’t really be testing if it worked. I may very well be wrong about this but that’s what I thought.

You don’t need the implementation to mock stuff out and see whether the code is clean.

At the moment implementations are waiting on Forge for 1.8 to update, So it was just a suggestion on a possible method of contribution.

The thing is, They can’t start with the implementation with a continue changing API. It would be trying to catch a plane that is already flying xDDD. But offcourse that doesn’t stop many devs of using the API already.

Oh I see. So are you just suggesting making essentially non-working plugins just to asses how the API works?

Exactly. And apart from bugfixing, testing and re-factoring along with the project (until its stable), you end up with a better understanding of how the API works in practice.

1 Like