Status Update - 12 November, 2014

We’re almost halfway through November already. We promised to have the API in a workable condition by November, and we’re keeping to it. Most of our issues lately have been centered around what we consider to be a lack of transparency. So to address these issues, we wanted to make these announcements!

#We have a Wiki!

####Edit: We totally forgot a staff form. If you’d like to join the wiki team, follow this link and fill out the form. We’ll get back to you shortly.

After a couple of months of furiously poking our Sysadmins, we finally have a wiki! This means that we can finally begin phasing out those sticky threads and implement a far more centralised and up-to-date repository of information. We are currently in the process of populating the Wiki with the most essential information, courtesy of @DarkArcana and the new Wiki team consisting of:

@Sibomots
@Kodfod

We need more people to join our wiki staff! If anyone wants to join the Wiki team, we’re seeking dedicated and trusted workers to cultivate this garden of knowledge. Most prominently, we require people that can fulfill these qualities:

• Ethical - This goes without saying. Information provided on the wiki can be read by anyone, anywhere, and it should be a good source of information for all audiences.

• Competent - You need to be able to spell (or use a spell checker effectively). Consistent grammar or spelling mistakes will not be tolerated. Other editing errors should be checked for and reviewed by contributors as a team. Mistakes happen.

• Dedicated - Such a large project with a massive community will need up to date information at all times. This means that old pages will need to be edited when things change and new pages will need to be added when new information comes to light.

• Organized - Pages will need to be structured and organized in an understandable and logical format so that any reader can understand where they are, where they came from, how to go from one place to another, and what a specific page is meant for. Each page should outline what its audience is.

• Creative - The wiki should be entertaining, easy to read, engaging, and designed in an eye-pleasing format so that different audiences can benefit.

It is absolutely required that anyone on the wiki team be ethical and competent in their work, however as this is a team effort, other qualities can be made up for in one way or another by different people in the team. Not everyone is as visually creative as they might be with their words. Remember that we want a well-rounded staff and will take these things into consideration.

We also will desperately need translators in the coming weeks and months as new pages are added. So far a few people have volunteered. Please let us know if you have an interest in this work and can dedicate your time and expertise.

#Forge Status

As you know, the Sponge implementation has a dependency on Forge. For right now we’ll be focusing on a release for Minecraft 1.8, because that fits best with our timeline. The Forge team is working hard on patching Forge to Minecraft 1.8, the largest update to Minecraft yet, despite the size of the task(almost 100 patches in total). Forge 1.8 is currently in the works; however, we are unsure of its status. We do know that LexManos is currently powering through the patches privately. As all of you know, this update was going to take a long time, but we hope that with his hard work and dedication, it will be near finished soon.

#Sponge Development Status

Currently we’re still chugging through and working on the design of the API. With the goal of having more transparency into Sponge development, we’ll be putting up a todo list that we’ll update as we go through the project in this Google doc.

The todo list is split into release items(for our next release) and post-release items(after the first API release), and we’ll be crossing out things as we complete them. We will be going through the current pull requests on the API repository first, reviewing them, and pulling ones that fit our requirements. Thank you for all the contributions that you have made so far, we’ll be getting around to them soon.

You are free to continue making PRs on the API repository, because that is where we most need them. We are currently not focused on working on implementation(the Sponge repository), and while we will discuss possible implementations in relation to a specific API, we will not look at any pull request that is made on the Sponge repository, only the SpongeAPI one.

In addition, the todo list will help us in getting a better, more concrete API release date, which we know a lot of you have been waiting for. The IRC gives an API release date of November, and that is still mostly true. Depending on how fast we go through the items, the Sponge API may be done in late November or early-to-mid December. This really depends on the volume of PRs we get and the amount of discussion we do on specific interfaces, as API design is no easy task. Rest assured that we are working our hardest on designing the Sponge API as quickly as possible while still making sure that it is still useful and relevant.

#####EDIT: There is no link to the wiki because it’s still under heavy development. You can probably find it if you’re creative, but there won’t be anything useful there yet. So please don’t ask. We are just looking for a team right now.

12 Likes

is there an application for wiki staff around that I can fill out? it seems like one of my most productive options for helping out with sponge, and i really would love to help out with what i can.

I’d help if my spelling were better and I were more creative, as stated in the topic post. I fit the other requirements but I can’t spell worth trying and one who intends to study engineering of any sort ought not even try to be creative (they, meaning me, might hurt themselves). So I’ll satisfy myself with the forums for now.

Same. I’d be happy to help out.

Ok guys, if you haven’t noticed, I did some edits to the above post to include a new form that you can fill out to apply for the wiki team. Otherwise check it out here. Thanks for the quick feedback.

I totally didn’t just find the wiki. Glad to see sponge is still making progress! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is the API still in need of any Developers? If so I’d be very interested. I won’t spout my credentials here, but I assure you I could be of great help.

Euh? API in need … of developers? Sorry I don’t understand you :confused:.

Anyway thanks for the update :smiley:. Can’t wait to start working on the wiki.

@thomas15v Developers… as in…

Oh… . Well I guess you will have to proof yourself in (good) contributions before you get accepted. I gave it up honestly…

Well I am fully qualified and won’t give up. Hopefully the current project leads contact me so that I will be able to to prove myself. I taught myself Java when I was only a Sophomore in High School and have developed my own popular Bukkit Plugins, published Android Apps, and a lot more. All of which I taught myself how to do, so hopefully they will see I am a quick learner AND good at what I do.

You misunderstood me. I wouldn’t count on it. I also filled in that form (like many of us) and we didn’t got a response. The best way to get involved with the project is understanding the source on github. Try to write improvements or things that should be in the API or implementation. And send a Pull Request to Sponge. I have to tell, not many Pull Request get accepted immediately. But I have seen it happen here:

(note that @modwizcode is now an developer on the forums).

I did not misunderstand you. I will contribute to this project. I know what I am doing. I am not just some Java hobbyist. I truly mean no offense… but what makes you the authority on how Sponge development works? You seem to just try to post on as many threads as you can…

1 Like

Good question. I don’t have any authority. I am just giving you the information I know, by following this project closely. I don’t know exactly how people get involved.

I based the speculations on these facts:

• On the homepage their stands “fork us on github”.
  • Most people that become sponge-developer have contributed on github.
  • If you read trough the forums, you will get hints that most people didn’t got an email from the project leaders.

I try to avoid the off-topic section ;). And yes I am pretty active. If the unread posts counter stands on zero, I start to get close to a depression (sarcasm).

Haha well that’s fair. I’m very interested in contributing, so I will look into it. But I should focus on my Android apps and University studies, since I can actually make money from those. I will just see how it works out.

Hehe, I also have the same problem xD. I should make a pong game (with co-op multiplayer :sleeping:) for my bachelor studies. But no I am making plugins, long tuto’s, maven repo’s,… For sponge :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

If you haven’t been contacted at this point, you won’t be. We already sent out our contact emails a while ago.

@thomas15v I have a 17-20 page History paper to write, I have to make a calculator in LC-3 Assembly, a file search hash table type thing, and I currently need to design and implement a basic processor. But… I instead I am looking into Sponge API.

What if we didn’t apply back then but want to assist now? Is it too late?