Status Update - API Release Edition (Not the usable server)

It’ll likely need to support everything, but I am awfully fond of Mongo

HI dear hard working sponge programmers!

Im a total noob in this, is there a easyer way or some kind of tutorial to install the Sponge/forge api yet? Im lost when it comes to compile stuff. thank you and keep up de good work!!!

So this means that its now allowed to PR to implementation repo? Anyway, great work everyone!

It’s not usable yet, the only thing done is the API, what devs work with. It’ll be a few more months before we can really run and use Sponge

Thank you for the answer I’ll stay in touch with this website :3

Inventories needed further discussion after it was brought to light that inventories had been thoroughly discussed in PR 9. We will be working on Inventories as our top priority alongside NBT. It gives us a chance to make the API better than what it would have been if it were rushed.

Question: what do we do if we have a suggestion or a request for the next API release?

Any JAR ? Or we have to build it ourself ?

Correct, you won’t have the implementation to test your plugin. However, if you are able to write unit tests, you should be able to do so that way.

1 Like

nice,
now plugin dev can start the actual plugin making process ( they had enough time to think about how they would modify it or not ) , by the time sponge be complete, most plugin dev should have had enough time to be ready/almost ready for a release too

:smiley:

Open an issue on our github

1 Like

Great work everybody on getting a release!

1 Like

@gabizou What sort of eta are we looking at for the actual server implementation? A month, two, or more?

Are you guys waiting on Forge to be able to accept vanilla client requests, before committing to many hours of programming the server implementation?

Thanks!

There is no eta and forge already accepts vanilla clients afaik

3 Likes

Yes, a stable API release! :blush:

+1 for MongoDB :smiley:

Also I was just so excited about all of this that I forgot to say, great job guys! I appreciate all the hard work and I bet the rest of the community does to! Keep up the good work! :smile:

Awesome work guys!

Please, no. MongoDB is new and I don’t trust it to not lose all my data.

On the other hand, Redis has extensive documentation and very few gotchas. (You still shouldn’t use it for mission-critical data… It has the FLUSHALL command to remind you of that fact.)

I would welcome SQL bindings for MySQL or PostgreSQL, but would prefer Postgres because of transactional DDL (allows for flawless plugin upgrades), sane defaults, speed, etc.

Great Job !
:sunny: