Status Update - API Release Edition (Not the usable server)

as long as ItemStacks include the ability to modify item attributes I’m happy with almost anything. :smiley:

So, is there going to be a Sponge plugin tutorial (like there was for Bukkit - and it was good!), now that the API is out?

Is there a maven repo?
Not starting with coding until there is one.

The maven repo is hidden in the Workspace Setup guide: https://github.com/SpongePowered/SpongeAPI/blob/master/pluginWorkspace.rst

1 Like

Hm, I use MongoDB for several months now and still even did not have to restart the server. Performance is incredibly good. Of course, backups are important, but that also applies to any other data, be it a database or not.

However, I can understand your doubt of using such a new technique, but for some things MongoDB is the better choice. For example, I have written a completely custom permissions plugin using MongoDB as a store, so that all permissions are in sync and automatically update when something changes. Using capped collections to stream update events to the other servers, everything works fine.

Also, developing in MongoDB can be much faster than using MySQL (for example) as you can write a “class mapper” that converts your objects into a BasicDBObject and back. Saving player stats this way is a method with two lines. Also, adding new fields to the class does not require you to change the database what could break the other servers that still run older versions of that plugin.

2 Likes

Sounds to me like you’re storing JSON. May I direct you to…

You can even select and join in the contents of the json - it’ll of course be slower than normal columns, but jsonb does a large part in bridging that gap.

The json data type stores an exact copy of the input text, which processing functions must reparse on each execution; while jsonb data is stored in a decomposed binary format that makes it slightly slower to input due to added conversion overhead, but significantly faster to process, since no reparsing is needed.

One of the major points that makes me like Redis and Postgres is the attention to detail in efficiency. They make sure to give you all the information you need to make an informed decision for your program.

The Sponge developers are aware of this and were brainstorming ideas in #spongedev when the topic came up. However, data storage solutions are slated for 1.1, in the meantime, roll your own with the included gson libraries

I don’t think it’s that new.
It’s used widely and a lot of developers trust it.

Thank you so much! This is great news!

I wish I could help with programming…

Hold on. Does this mean sponge is currently in a playable state? or is it still just in coding?

This is an API release. The actual SPONGE mod is still in heavy development. So, no, afraid Sponge is not stable currently.

1 Like

Where is the download link?

Instructions for the API (which is not the server) are on the github

@disconsented I think adding “(For Developers)” to the title name could help clear it up for some people.

1 Like

So, Your saying the API is not in beta but the server start up and build is not like ready yet? Like I meant with the plugins folder, mods folder, etc.

You know what I mean, Right?

The API is NOT the implementation (which is in the works)

1 Like

Okay when I said “… you guys waiting on Forge to be able to accept vanilla client requests, before committing to many hours of programming the…,” I knew I wasn’t crazy.

Look here:

Second to last page (page 7), last line of that page:

That starts on page 7 and ends on page 8.

Cheers

@unenergizer The docs are a little outdated, but there won’t be a need for them anymore when the Wiki comes out.

I suggest talking to @Kodfod if you want more information.

1 Like

Its funny how you guys had to change the title for it to make sense to the people who dont read.

1 Like

*It’s sad

6 Likes