Status Update - Halloween Edition (Apparently?)

Top right there’s a link

Has the final team been decided? Or are you still reviewing?

It’s a slow process. But I don’t think there will ever be a final team. People will probably come and go as the project evolves. I’ve done what I can to go through apps, get information from people, and provide that information to the people who will make the final decisions about new entrants. We have welcomed a few people, but like I said, it really is a slow process.

3 Likes

Who cares? Perhaps they are (rightfully so) gearing up to be the next big thing that Bukkit was. I see no problem with a good sized infrastructure. Plenty of people willing and able to do lots of things means smooth, quick releases, fixes, support, etc. Have you been watching the progress of all the other new projects stepping up in the wake of Bukkit? No offense to ANY of them, but a 1-2 person project isn’t going to get much traction. That person might be brilliant, but even brilliance can only type/code so fast.

'And thanks for the update - Everything sounds great, can’t wait!!

2 Likes

Then cut it down even more. Like there are quite a few members inactive. (Speaking of support). Quality over quantity.

Everyone on my team has been active. They all have their roles and they are all fulfilling them. There isn’t actually anything to support right now, so I don’t know what you expect from the support team. So most of them are just doing moderator tasks or filling in on other teams.

Maybe I didn’t look hard enough, but I have a quick question. What will be the difference between the Forge and Glowstone versions?

1 Like

They are just different implementations. Sponge is an API for making plugins. The API can sit on top of several different lower level implementations like Forge or Glowstone. Effectively, the plugins should work the same. However, using the Forge implementation will allow you to use Forge mods. Using the Glowstone implementation won’t let you use Forge mods, but whatever else that may have in store.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! I’m glad to see that the project is coming along nicely!

Good luck with the rest of the project, and hopefully we’ll all have an exciting new server software to play with soon. :stuck_out_tongue:

You have my support. ~Thumbs-up~

1 Like

There are other area’s they can be active in, for example @TnT might not be posting on the forums that much but I saw him talking to people in the IRC chat room yesterday, it’s also possible some of them are working on sponge too and don’t feel like posting so they can focus on the project more. @sk89q is another example as he hasn’t posted in about a month but he’s probably doing work behind the scenes.

1 Like

You don’t have to actively post to handle moderation. You have to read posts when they come in and handle flagged posts. That’s just the forums. We also have several channels on IRC and a subreddit. Just because someone isn’t active on the forum doesn’t mean they aren’t actually doing stuff elsewhere. @xxmarijnw I can totally see your edits :P. Anyway, these staffing and delegation concerns are for @Owexz and me to worry about, not every single person who comes by and thinks they can question it from the outside. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi to ALL,

you do great job, and hope you will have it soon :-).

I would like to know, if will be possible to use bukkit plugins in the new Sponge, or we need to wait until the developers of these plugins port their plugins to the Sponge?

I hope all will be soon, while I would like to change to the MC 1.8 :wink:

The community is trying to make it possible. Take a look at these links, they are worth the read!

2 Likes

It’s really great to see such amazing progress! I mean, building something to wrap around the minecraft code base and essentially answer the community’s call for a “new” bukkit is really an amazing feat.

That developer application looks really tempting, I have avoided applying though, since there really is no indication as to what level of developer is “acceptable”. I myself am currently in my second year of a bsc cs degree and have a really solid understanding of really good ood/oop. However, people in my position, or me at the very least, don’t understand just how important it is to have previous experience writing stuff for a minecraft related entity.

I would really love some clarification on this, it’d help a lot with deciding on whether or not it is worth my time even trying.

im not being trying to be impatient here and im only after a status update here.

Spigot released there 1.8 full support build on the 28th of November, this supports most Bukkit plugins right away, I understand they didn’t need to think of much API, they just needed to change the code around.

Sponge has said that they are aiming to get their API out this month … its the last day of this month and still no signs of a API, I understand Sponge team is working hard on getting the API right, they are working so hard they have not had enough time to make a status update, however that deadline is essentially missed (unless they finish it in whats left of today - I do understand about the time difference), meaning that they have time to make a status update … sorry if im coming across as a impatient, impolite or just a general prick but i would like to know whats happening.

1 Like

The API is essentially finished. But that doesn’t matter for most end users who want to run servers. API != Implementation. As such, we will be releasing the API on time according to our estimates. We all knew going in how long this was going to take. Bugging for an eta or pushing to get something done faster doesn’t actually get it done faster or create a better product. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Spigot had a leg to stand on, Spigot was already there and had a HUGE framework in place. Sure, they had to replace wolves code and update from 1.7 to 1.8, but that is not nearly as big of a task as creating an entirely new codebase with outright better concepts and structure.

1 Like

I said i understood that part “I understand they didn’t need to think of much API, they just needed to change the code around.” so why are you justifying something that i already understood or where you just clarifying it?