Teach or Learn Java Here?

Hey, I know myself, as well as many many many other community members, are not able to program in java. So…
Anyone willing to teach java from the beginning here on this thread here? This is a place for people to exchange knowledge, to pass along what they learn from others, to continue the human chain of knowledge. We must support each other, and I think this is a pretty good way to do it, by teaching and learning.

2 Likes

There is an unvelievable amount of tutorials on the internet about Java programming, from books, to videos to written documentations… Why would people write out everything they know about Java in this thread?

3 Likes

I would have to agree with the above statement. If have any issues or bugs when you start though, stack overflow is a good place to go. Or if you want you can ask me I wouldnt mind helping :smile:

A forum is not the proper place to learn or teach something like a programming language. There is just to much that can be lost in translation, miscommunicated, misunderstood, etc.

If you want to learn Java buy a book, download an IDE, and go to town. Build things, screw things up, ask questions about why something didn’t work the way you thought it would. Don’t expect people to hold your hand and walk you through it step by step. If that is what you want, go take a Java class in college like IT 215 (It’s one of the classes I had to take for my bachelors of software engineering and it’s absolutely worthless).

1 Like

Well, what I am saying is all of those online tutorials and stuff have the examples stuff that do not apply to a specific project, and I do know a fair amount of java, but whenever I start working on this bukkit/sponge gradle and all that stuff.

Brain turns off

I probably should have rephrased this. Can someone summarize java basics and teach us how to work with like the sponge source code, bukkit plugins, that kind of stuff.

Uh, a 14 year old youtuber is not going to college any time soon :confused:

I was 12 when I started learning Java.

So, here is how to go about learning Java (and most other languages)

First of all, you need to go and familiarize yourself with the basic concept of object oriented programming. Then, learn to write your first class(es) and how to compile and run them. Just experiment a bit. If you’re not sure, Google and Stackoverflow are very helpful ;).

Next would be an IDE (integrated development environment). It helps you manage your projects and is a tool you definitely should consider using. (I use IntelliJ IDEA, but there are many others, like eclipse). On the IDEs webpage you will find plenty of information on how to use it.

Then, if you feel comfortable in Java, you just go and find a tutorial on how to set things up and do basic things like creating blocks. You will find tutorials for a range of IDEs, so you can find one for your IDE and exactly follow it. Again, Google is your friend. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last, but not least, there are the MinecraftForge wiki and the MinecraftForge forums that can be an incredibly useful resource when it comes to modding.

And then there are the amazing people on the Forge IRC that will try to help you :smiley:

Hope I could help.

~ TBot

3 Likes

TheNewBoston is a channel on YouTube that will really get you into Java along with any other popular programming languages and software. He has two series on programming java:

Along with that I am willing to help, but please don’t make this Stack Overflow in one post, don’t post
all your bugs here, but rather ask generic questions.

There are many ways to learn java. The way I recommend for people who are just new to the whole programming field is a website called http://www.codecademy.com/

It is very helpful and tells you how not only java works but how other programming languages work as well by familiarizing you with basic functions, methods and getting you used to the Object Oriented Programming style of programming. Hope this helps!

Hey guys, thanks for all the support. I dove into Object Oriented programming about 2 or 3 years ago, with some starting java. It never stuck around though, but since I learned a bit of C++ recently, I familiarized myself with the fundamentals of OOP.
Thanks for all the help again guys, I will probably refer back here once I start modding and stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

The best way to learn java is by teaching yourself through online tutorials and/or books. You should do tons of examples from there and post when you want specific help. There’s so much to programming languages, such as Java, as it would take a while to explain everything in one thread. Here’s one lengthy site which could help: http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/java/java.html

Always remember to try a bunch of random stuff and do things by yourself too if you just follow what they say without understanding what it means, you will get stuck if you try to do something by your own

What version of java is he using?

At first he uses Java 6, and eventually moves on to Java 7. Honestly though the two versions are not really noticeable changes for the beginner programmer and the basic fundamentals like for loops are not different. For those features that are new/changed you could quickly pick them up using Google to find help on the internet.

You are asking people to summarize years of experience and technical knowledge into a TL;DR on a forum post? If you practice with and understand a programming language well enough to use it normally, you should be able to use an API implemented in that language given that you study the API (even if you have to read the code and practice with it). Don’t ask people to tell you how to do something. Just practice.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this here, I’ve learned some basic information so far.