Towny Advanced Official Thread

What’s an alliancetag?

[nationtag] is what i meant to put

on the general channel_formats line use {nationtag}{towntag}{permprefix}{playername}

Excuse me for a second FINALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY! Ok I’m done, but I would like you to know that Towny has always been a plugin that I have used since it has been released for the first time to the public. I would like to thank all of the devs for taking their time to port it over to Sponge. But ya thanks @LlmDl for notifying the Sponge community about this :smiley:

1 Like

I have an idea. Add the function of regeneration of wild lands (all chunks).

Very good new ! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m glad to see Towny is coming to sponge! I love the town vs town war you guys are adding, it’s what Towny needed. Can you give some details on how it will function? I’m Curious if its gonna work on a power based system like factions does?

1 Like

I’ve heard people complain about power-based war modes. We’ll maybe have it as an option but I think the war overhaul will stick to flag-based attack systems like already exist.

The big thing is with the backend recode it will allow town vs town war while the bukkit version did not, its something that we’ll develop further as the new code reaches feature completion.

I just wonder who will do it (because Elgar is in most time inactive).

I’m never inactive. I’m the only dev on Towny.

4 Likes

We have used a custom version of Factions for 2 1/2 years, but we had major issues concerning war system. There has never been a perfect one, neither in Factions nor in Towny. Towny was our second teamplay manager we used since April and there were many things working great, but it was a pity that the good things our coding team (you may know Sn0wSt0rm’s and Grafe’s Brewery) added to this bloody outdated Factions 1.7.4 weren’t there any more. One of them was a tribute system I loved. Every faction had an inventory and to declare a war, the leader put some of his items into it. They were shown to the defender who had to pay the same items as a tribute. When the defender payed, war was finished, the defender received protection for some weeks and the attacker got all of the items. Another great thing was that leaders were able to unlock LWC protections…

For a war system, it would be nice to have more systems than one so that server admins can choose which one matches best to their server.

I am against power or kill based wars (like in Factions or Vectroncraft’s TownyWars). There are too many possibilities to exploit these systems, for example feeding by using a second Minecraft account or to stay just offline so that your land could not be annexed. Everything that our Admin team did to fix these issues resulted in other exploits, for example when we used Factions that a big faction was attacked by a litte fake faction without many claims and without active members. Both lost their power after a few weeks, the big faction lost because there was no way to attack the not really existing enemies… When we tried VectronWars with Towny, we got this @#*%§¥!!! problems with feeding. Town A attacked town B and at 1.00 am, they spawn killed their second account in town B. Town B lost and was forced to join nation A.

So what we consider is a totally new system that is based on killing all of a town’s NPC-soldiers or maybe villagers that spawn automatically in towns depending on their rank and on whether they are in a nation or not. Towns have to take care that their villagers are somewhere where they cannot be attacked. We consider to make them able to defend themselves well and to make a kill warm-up so that nobody can murder all of them alone in one situation. Annexed towns should not simply become members of the nation that wins, they should get a status that declares them to be no real members and this membership should be temporary. They may have to pay seperate taxes (the tributes?).

Also, we consider a raids plugin to handle attacks against lonely little towns because we don’t want them to get into huge wars, but also not to be protected against everything. First, it should make that towns without a nation can be denied seperatly to toggle pvp off. That’s something making a nation attractive also for peaceful towns. Then, we would like to have a possibility to start a raid. A raid could mean that the attacker has some minutes to loot everything in a town as long as a) the attackers are able to grief into the walls using tnt (not this bad because of CreeperHeal) and b) as long as the defenders does not kill a configurable amount of attackers.

So if you support some of these ideas, feel free to use them :blush:

~Feuerstern_, useless moderator of a great Towny server

PS: thx for everything :blush:

Edit: not hug wars… Huge wars facepalm

All I can say is Thank you for taking the time to continue Towny. It’s the only must have plugin for my server to keep running, and I’m glad to know it’s going to continue development.

Yes, this will be easier in the new LWC version. In the next couple weeks I’ll be improving docs for the rewrite version and expand on how to do plugin integration. The new version also allows some more interesting things to be done too e.g. dynamically allowing mayors to access protections inside their own town without too much hacking (or db changes). It’ll also allow a lot of other stuff LWC had to do in the core (i.e. /cmodify town:TownName to give access to everyone in that town on the protection) be done by any plugin.

high five for also being a plugin to survive hmod → bukkit → sponge \o/

4 Likes

if i remember correctly, if a town is not in a nation, then it cannot be attacked, or participate in a war, so they are safe from huge wars, tho i could be wrong, it has been a while since i have been in a towny, but me and a group are setting up (hopefully) a towny server utilizing the war feature, and this comment interests me

Right, and this is problem number one. If you have a PvP-server and everyone wants his town’s security and does not join a nation, then the Towny system is more or less broken. Problem number two would be that if towns without nation become attackable, they will obviously lose their protection and can be destroyed very easily. Why should a small town have the same risk as a whole nation? So:

Anything new on towny for sponge?

1 Like

Any news from the developers?

Right I would love to know if development has commenced! We will never make the switch to sponge without Towny.

1 Like

me too, I think the community need the Sponge version of Towny, it is one of best plugin ever and a lot of modded server without it will not work

While you are waiting for Towny, dont forget to try out Polis and leave your suggestions amd feedback.