Tree Building

I was experimenting with designing trees, and I’ve finalized a design. It was built in a flatworld, so there’s not many terrain. I’m fairly new too building, and was hoping to receive feedback/tips.

The Tree:

Thanks to anyone that replies

2 Likes

Could use a bit more foliage imo but otherwise not bad. It’s different from most tree designs I’ve seen.

It’s interestingly twisty. Did you model it on a real-world tree species? It looks a bit like a fast-growing oak species, like a Tas-Oak. It’s quite sparse toward the top, where I’d normally expect the maximum of foliage.
Another question: did you make it with foliage that is all fully supported by nearby logs, or will some of the foliage fade if someone bashes the tree? A lot of tree schematics I’ve seen seem to have excess foliage far away from the trunks.

1 Like

Yes, every leaf is within 2 blocks of a log. And no, I didn’t purposely model it off of a real tree species, but it’s cool that it looks like one

Interesting! And cool! But wait…
Stupid Question: You built that, right? Or have you made a plugin that generates those? ^^
Because it looks a little bit like it could’ve been generated O.o

Umm… What could you possibly be talking about?

private int branchIncrement;
    private int trunkHeight;
    private int rootLength;
    private int branchLength;
    private int numRoots;
    private int numBranches;
    private int trunkUpwardsWeight;
    private int trunkSidewaysWeight;
    private int leavesStart;
    private int branchUpwardsWeight;
    private int rootDownwardsWeight;
    private int sidewaysWeight;
    private double leavesChance;
    private double continuedLeavesChance;

The tree in the main post, yes I built most of it as a template, but the ones above are generated. (You can’t tell from the perspective of the picture, but those trees are all ~15 blocks high, covered in more foliage).

So yeah, I’m making pretty trees in a world generator. I’'ve gone ahead and finished the populator… The trees are highly customizable, as I’ve exposed every value used for calculations in the code. It can make small trees or big trees, with various amounts of branches, roots, and twisty-ness. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Uhh, now im really interested! ^^
Because … well … look at those super secret pictures of a side-project i am working on since a while: http://imgur.com/a/25V9O

I did something similar with my tree generator… It’s vector-based, so first i am generating a framework of “lines” and then i place blocks along those lines. And there are multiple methods that i can override to customize the trees height and so on.

I am currently in the process of rewriting everything into cleaner code, and soon i need to revisit my Tree-generation code…

Really looking forward to what you are doing! :slight_smile:

My generator uses randomly selected directions (with various weights) to get the patterns for its various stuffs. I’m yet to get width working for the branches and leaves, but it’s something I’m working on.

1 Like

@Blue
I may have gotten a bit carried away…

That tree is a casual ~135 blocks tall…

2 Likes

Giant Mutant Trees Destroy Tokyo, Film at 11.

This is starting to get to the scale where procedural generation can get really impressive. There’s precedent, the old Giant Trees plugin from Bukkit is still maintained, and it has it’s own odd way of engineering them (via a GUI). I had used it to pregenerate a world for a SoS server a while back, and left some custom “Pink Bunkadoo” trees around the landscape for good measure.

It would be great to see a humungous tree generation plugin for Sponge, if that’s the way you’re going :slight_smile:

1 Like

My general goal in this is to put together a world generator for RPG servers that looks like a custom built map. Seeing as I’ve only barely figured out the trees, I’ve got quite the ways to go.

Edit:
My main motivation for this is that my skills lie in redstone, command blocks, and Java, but not building. I just think it would be really awesome for anyone who wants to to grab a few plugins and have a full RPG server, with world and all, ready to play on.

1 Like