Unloading Chunks To Reduce Server Lag?

Server Specs:

• Intel Xeon E5-1650v2 @ 3.50Ghz
  • Solid State Drives on RAID 1
  • 1Gbps Uplink
  • 16384 MB RAM
  • Plugins (20): Minecraft, Minecraft Coder Pack, Forge Mod Loader, Minecraft Forge, SpongeForge, AdminShop, Scoreboard, EnjinMinecraftPlugin, EssentialCmds, Kits, NuVotifier, PermissionsEx, Pixelmon, Pixel Extras, Polis, VotifierListener, Total Economy, Twenty Ticks, Wonder Trade, WorldEdit

My server can’t handle all the entities going around. But when I use TwentyTicks to check my “tickstat” I see that I have 7422 loaded chunks with 15 players on and its causing massive amounts of block lag and issues for my players. I use TwentyTicks to help me clear items on the ground but that helps very little. Is there anyway that I could get some help onto how I can get these chunks unloaded? My TPS is literally 4 with 21 players.

Currently with TwentyTicks its telling me I have 9191 chunks loaded. This is with 21 players on

Have you tried reducing the “view-distance” in server.properties? I think reducing this from the default (10) to maybe 7 or 8 should make a significant difference to the total number of chunks loaded.

What is your server’s view distance set to? I am going to guess around 12 with only 15 people online. You may have 16gb of ram but it seems quite CPU lite.

@Txk please test latest SpongeForge build. I fixed an issue causing server lag.

@blood

I have but it seems that i’m having issues still with chunks and TPS

Lower your view-distance. Do not leave it at the default which is 10. I used to always lower it to at least 5. Also, providing a WarmRoast sample would help a ton when lag does occur.

@blood

WarmRoast?

[WarmRoast!][1]
[1]: https://www.sk89q.com/2013/06/easy-jvm-cpu-profiling-with-warmroast/

1 Like