**Update** Sponge Plugin Competition 2

I’ve amended the rules to be a bit more clear about which plugins are allowed to enter. :slight_smile:

[quote] * Must be a plugin that is one of the following…
a.) A new plugin.
b.) A plugin that is relatively new (no more than a month old).
c.) A plugin that is not that popular/has a small user-base.
d.) A plugin that is a port from another project (Forge, Bukkit, Canary, etc).[/quote]

2 Likes

If the majority of the plugin is written in Java, but some of the scripts are in Kotlin or something, is that OK?

No part of the plugin submitted may use this. The only exception to this is if your dependencies use it. We won’t review dependencies, just the core submission.

But why not Kotlin or Scala? I only do jvm stuff in Kotlin and Scala.

At what point will we be able to post entries into the forum?

Can’t you post here yet?

Most of those that will review the plugins wish not to deal with looking at an unfamiliar language. While we have nothing against the languages themselves we just prefer to keep it simple and straight-forward.

Kotlin is so straight forward that really everyone gets it. But I think in this competition it doesn’t matter because I haven’t seen anybody doing a plugin in Kotlin or Scala.

Altrough I am a hudge fan of just plain java. I don’t think it rly matters, language is just syntax. Anyone who can program can quickly jump arround syntax (except for C).

Another note, it would be nice to see how readable (or unreadable) these plugins would be.

However syntax takes time to adjust to depending on how different it is. In order to ensure that we are able to efficiently and accurately rate these plugins we added this rule to the contest. This rule was part of the first contest as well.

We appreciate all feedback given and will use it for future contests, however at the moment this rule still stands for this contest.

You might use groovy as it is often used in build.gradle files and they are familiar, comparatively.

No, you might not.

1 Like

I don’t plan to participate in this competition.

To be honest, I’m kinda confused at why everyone is getting so annoyed at not being able to use these languages… It’s a competition, the rules are set and that’s that. I have to say, looking back on code that I have written in other JVM languages, none of them are very easy to read for other people.

Take Kotlin for example, you don’t need to declare what a variables type is if it’s inferable… Or what about operator overloads? Do you expect the judges to really want to have to take the time to figure out all the information and crazy usages that people come up with?

I think the rules stated fairly clearly what was allowed. My only reason for asking the last question was because I was wondering if side loading scripts for the plugin was allowed.

4 Likes

The rules have been set. If you do not like the rules, then you do not have to compete. This was not an issue at the last competition. End of discussion.

5 Likes

And what exactly are those mysterious games?

No. Whole category is closed from making new topics. Unless you have to have Developer badge to make topics?

Nope, developer are Sponge staff. Normal users are supposed to post there, not only staff. Then the category isn’t open yet…

The list of games has not been finalized.

As for the submission category. That should be open shortly.

I opened the category for posting.

3 Likes

I want to port my plugin, RottenFood, but aside, I wrote the Sponge port of BuycraftX. Does that count? What if the code is good but since inventories are not yet implemented it doesn’t really work fully?