When requesting 'features' into Sponge

When someone requests a feature to be implemented into the core of Sponge, such as music streaming and mechanical mods for like redstone, these should not be considered for the core. The core is what all the servers will wrap around. If we have sponge.jar be bloated with music streaming capabilities and when most servers won’t want that, then it just acts as a buffer on the file size, which may have miniscule impact on server performance, but it’s still there. Look at essentials, I personally disliked it because of the AIO plugin it was, but it was an AIO plugin so I used it. I NEVER used the economy, haven’t used the Kits since back in February of 2011 on my server.

What should happen is put a plugin request, not a feature request for modifications that result in mechanical or systematical gameplay changes.

~Concerned Developer and Operator

2 Likes

Sincerely, a forum lurker.

<3

1 Like

I think people are generally starting to understand that. The people that request these features are generally people who don’t understand what Sponge is, what an API is for, or something along those lines; especially for people new to the Sponge community who skip the introduction or parts of it. I believe there is a few other posts that replicate this general idea though. (The thread @octoshrimpy posted, as well as this one, and some of the links linking to that post)

I can’t tell if you were trying to compare Sponge to Essentials, but those are two different things entirely (I’m sure you realize). They don’t really deserve comparison, as they work in fundamentally different ways, although I’d agree Essentials was bloated.

He was comparing the bloatedness of essentials, saying he did not want the same thing in the spongeAPI. Basically stating that things should be modular, and plugins should do the job, not the API.

1 Like

Less elegant version of:

3 Likes

True, but for an API to become bloated, would somewhat make it less of an API, if it had a ‘bloated’ set of functions, versus just providing layers to provide functions. Just doesn’t seem like a fair comparison unless Sponge tried to replicate the function of a plugin as well as an API at some point.

Bingo.

I’m fairly confident in the current developers. I don’t think it’d matter how much people ask for plugin-inclined features, I don’t think they’ll fold and just go, “Screw it, let’s make Sponge do everything”.

1 Like

We should have a “Big Fail”-Thread in off topic to discuss this.

Maybe a staff could write up a sticky post with a bit of a conglomerate of these other posts outlining some rules then what would constitute a decent request, or just provide links to the user posts that they like since they tend to get pushed down quite a bit.

1 Like

I’m going for a basic SpongeAPI. If I want database support I’ll load xyzDatabaseLib plugin and extend that. I don’t want SpongeAPI to contain everything that the minions desire.

I don’t see your point.

His point was just as DarkArcana’s, simply being that this general idea is somewhat over-posted so far. There’s at least 2 or 3 other posters who said essentially the same thing.

2 Likes

He… hehe… essentials… essentially… hehe…

1 Like

Normally I post this link xD
SpongeDevelopment is full of “feature requests”,
SpongeCore” discussions are hard to find.
I suggested already a split:

Atm I collect all (in my eyes) “SpongeCore” discussions here:

1 Like

This is also discussed here:

1 Like

Can a Mod lock this? Obviously I overstepped and landed on someone’s pet ferret.

1 Like

I wish. I only have a cat-snake.
Original here.

1 Like

I saw that once apon a time and that brought back memories.

1 Like

Sponge should really be kept as minimal and as close as possible to the vanilla,
if someone want a feature : get a plugin ! Isn’t it why we want sponge after all? To be able to load and use different plugins as we whish and prefer, hopefully sponge be kept to a have a minimal impact on the game

1 Like