[WIP] GeoWorld (formerly OreVeins) Master Thread

I haven’t tried this out yet, but does it support mod ores? For example, can I throw in some config options to get it to generate veins of copper and tin?

1 Like

Unfortunately, not yet. :confused: I really really really really really…

really really x1000 would LOVE to implement custom blocks. Can you imagine?

poryphry copper deposits, mineral specimens, veins which align, snake, spiderweb through the rock. Gossans and iron staining. Lichens… etc;

I’ve yet to see how i can implement this within sponge yet though. If this is a feature y’all want badly, I suggest telling the devs your wishes.

Fortunately, this is completely possible with Sponge :slight_smile: It’s the main reason we went with psuedo-enums (e.g. BlockType and BlockTypes), as it allows plugins to access mod items/blocks.

To do this, simply user GameRegistry#getType, with BlockType.class and the fully qualified name of the type to get (for example, thaumcraft:crucible).

To ensure that all mod blocks/items are fully registered, you should attempt to retrieve them from the GameRegistry at the LOAD_COMPLETE phase.

2 Likes

O_O.

That

is

perfect.

I imagine that blocks and items having different textures is a bit harder though no?

I believe you might be able to disguise them as existing blocks with some internal server magic, but using new textures will require some kind of client side mod (for instance a Forge mod ;)).

One of the best Mineralogy mods I’ve seen is UndergroundBiomesConstructs by Zeno410. Over a dozen new rock types plus the capacity to have ore-bearing variants, generated from the original textures. It’s still 1.7.10, and the methods it uses are a little zany, but it definitely improves the underground experience. If that ever makes it to 1.8.9 (or 1.9) then I would love to see it co-operate with this plugin. Making it work with something like the Metallurgy mod would be even more spectacular.

1 Like

@Lemonous

Theres not a whole lot I can do with current rock textures. I’ll have to start mulling over a clientside mod.

@Inscrutable
I’ll have to take a look. I might just see if I can’t interface with that mod.

Edit: its a good start, but I think I’mma bring my petrology training to bear with this mod. We’ll see if I can actually do it.

All:

Don’t worry you’re still in my thoughts. Currently implementing fixes for iron and coal; its taking a little longer than I thought.

3 Likes

I’m very close to releasing a Simplex noise, deep ocean basin & depositional environment model for BIF and Coal deposits which will hopefully make coal easier to find and balance iron abundance.

However, I’ve got some questions for you guys:

-I’m tempted to use sedimentry sequences in-between BIF and Coal bedding (cobble-gravel-Sandstone-Coloredclay) because it would be Oh-So-Easy to put it in the function. However I feel like some server owners wouldn’t like having sed deposits in places where they’re not traditionally in vanilla. I’m not sure how easy it would be to make this a separate option in the configs, so what are your thoughts?

-Based on you guys’s experience with the mod so far, I’m also tempted to just generate a shit ton of veins everywhere in roughly the same density that you find them right now, but with one crucial difference. I could put ore abundance in any location dependent on an underlying value bound from a noise map. This would have the benefit of streamlining code and reducing ore controls to just a few variables. It is a fundamentally different approach than I have right now though, and so it may not be possible to easily select one option or the other. Thoughts?

1 Like

I’d be fine with that system, so long as you suppress the regular gravel spawn.
Perhaps just make a toggleable config option.

I am for the noisemap option, so long as it is configurable.

1 Like

Just to be a contrarian, I actually liked the relative rarity of coal. When you do find it, there is a pretty good chance you won’t need to look anywhere else for a while (those coal deposits are quite impressive).
The size of the ore deposits in general, plus the capacity to use surface features or even underground bedding layers to help locate ores, would actually justify making ore bodies relatively rare. Less random digging would required to locate the materials you wanted.

As for simulated depositional environments, bring it on. I won’t complain if you completely rebuild most of the WGen processes, it’s always nice to see a new take on simulating terrain forms. Attempts to simulate real-world processes and environments give science geeks like me a real buzz.

2 Likes

Added a sneak peak of what I’ve been working on recently.

@El_Minadero: The ColoredData/DyeableData issue I discussed with you in IRC has been fixed in the 4.0.0 release. You should now be able to use DyeableData for all blocks that are colorable in some way (carpet, wool, stained clay, glass, and glass panes).

1 Like

I’ve been playing it for months on bukkit as the old “oreveins” plugin… and the least i can say is that i was definitely waiting for an update, which has finally come with a lot of new features.
I do really like the fact that there is also a possiblity to generate banded rock

I’ll be very happy to test it on my sponge server…

Here are a few ideas i was expecting to be added in the “old” bukkit plugin, which I hope will be added sometime :

• per-biome spawn rate (or disabling rate at all).
    i.e, on a custom world (worldpainted or terraincontrol), being able to set the diamond rate to 100% in a given biome (such as hell). In the previous plugin diamond was extremely rare but not relative to any biome, which made it ossible to spawn a diatreme in the middle of a plain, with absolutely no active or extinct volcano being seen… Which I understand as this biome doesn’t normally exist in the overworld, and diamond needed to spawn in the overworld a way or another.

• being able to “duplicate” resources, i.e having banded iron formation in oceans and swamps (or another biome by setting, in order to support TerrainControl or other biome modifiers plugins/mods), and standard iron in extremehills.

• custom settings for custom ores… If for example I have a mithril ore or anything else, and want to add it as a orevein instead of the vanilla shitty blob ore, i’d like to be able to set is as being a banded mithril formation, or a vein, or even a diatreme (let’s dream !). could be done simply by just having the BandedIronFormation and coalbed setting replaced by something like Bed: material:iron (and all settings), Bed: coal(and all settings) and Bed : material:mithril and all settings.
    Another plugin (still working in 1.9 though not updated since 1.2.5) called MineralVein had intersting settings in that regard, which might be interesting to read and inspire from
    A simple example was that i was trying to generate custom Caves as Oreveins, by simply replacing IronOreVein by AirOreVein, but this wasn’t possible in the bukit plugin.

1 Like

To be clear about my wishes, I’ll explain hat I was looking to achieve wit my own world (using some MineralVein tweaks as Oreveins wans’t updated anymore for 1.8) :

• set sea level to 128 to have +128 blocks of mountains and -128 blocks of resources … with ocean floor around 64, I stiull get 64 meters height to place BIF underneath. OreVeins wasn’t able to generate resources above y=128, which i needed to tweak using MineralVein
  • MineralVein has a really simple setting for bedbeds (coal beds) and is extremely light on server resources… but as far as I know it doesn’t support veins, only beds/BIF, which makes it less interesting for some minerals… though it’s extremely powerful for coal and iron.
  • MineralVein is extremely easy to tweak with specific per-biome ore spawn rate, and supports custom ores (AIR for example can be made into an ondulating bed.)
    It also offers the possibility to have several instances of the same resource (such as coal bed around y=128 and the same or slightly different settings such as a higher volatility right below at y=64, using the same seed, or even completely differently placed on the map using a different seed.
    However, it doesn’t offer any randomness… read that you can’t have a several beds of iron randomly placed between ymin and ymax, only have several instances ondulating around y1 and y2 with y-variation1 and y-variation2 settings.

But the two plugins have poerful settings, and i’d suggest to have a look at MineralVein to take what is resource-light in the previous one and integrate it into Orevein/GeoWorld

1 Like

Can’t wait to see where this goes! Huge fan of the original Bukkit plugin and I’d love to see modded block support added to this.

1 Like

Lots of good comments from @Brennendfyr, @Aaron1011, and @SirSavary. I promise things have been churning out. Here’s another sneak peak:

its not done, not by a long shot, but im getting close to another alpha release.

3 Likes

New Alpha Release of GeoWorld!

pull from the github repo, branch: simplexNoise something.

This is how it works:

and here’s a screenshot:

Hey Aaron, could you provide me with a simple example of how to add custom blocks with vanilla textures?

That’s currently not possible in Sponge, and isn’t really doable without some kind of client mod. Your best bet would be to sen a custom resource pack to the client, with all the inherent limitations that that entails.

So does that mean something has changed between your former comment and the most recent release?