Your workspace - How do you like to work?

Things I have going on:

• Eclipse (Will put out a screenshot later)
  • Background music on repeat (usually monstercat)
  • Chrome (For the music, Forums, and looking up anything about programming that I dont quite understand)
  • Minecraft (To easily switch to break-time, ingame music set to off)
  • Skype (Talking to friends at random times)
3 Likes

I can only work with my phone nearby, a cup of good strong coffee and of a bright light on. Oh yeah, and some background music. (I.E. Nederland.fm, Radio or sound of rain)

I work with intellij idea as an IDE. I can’t concentrate if there isn’t any backgroud noise. So I usually put music or some streamer / youtuber on. Also, I hate to code in the dark. And a bottle of water.

1 Like

Bottled water master race

The only essentials are

1. A relatively quiet room and decent speakers, or good headphones,
  2. rainymood
  3. either contemporary classical, or indie folk music.

A darkly-themed editor with good syntax highlighting (I’ve actually mostly been using Atom lately) and decent keyboard are second tier requests, but not absolutely required.

Edit: Since we’re throwing in the use of terminal here, I have to add that I pretty much HAVE to have guake, yakuake, or some other hot-key enabled terminal, at all times, while coding or otherwise.

I must have my phone around, a mouse (not some lousy touchpad). I like to listen some music, and it would help if I had a decent laptop, but those are always sold out so… I’m sticking with my Core2 Duo for a while longer I guess… Some chocolate cookies always help :wink:

I generally use IntelliJ and a dark theme as my monitors are blindingly bright. Generally also have some random music playing on Spotify, although I haven’t found a necessarily ideal playlist for coding yet. And coffee of course.

On the note of beverages, beer worked well for me once (which I’ve only attempted once, but worked out really well). Managed to throw together a fairly nice world border plugin with perm/group borders almost completely overnight while somewhat buzzed, although eventually replaced it with WorldBorder for it’s fill and trim and DynMap support. Everyone should do a buzzed coding spree if they have another project to start and not risk butchering an existing project XP

I’m just sitting on my desk, my girlfriend is sitting on the opposite side, so I can see her all the time. That’s the best motivation you can have :wink:
My desk is fully of dishes, empty bottles and university stuff.

I hate command lines, that’s why I have Eclipse plugins for git and gradle installed.
I tried to work with a dark eclipse theme, but didn’t like it (many things are still white on Windows).

I know right? <vghcfhgvhgv

Nice dark Sublime theme (Same for Intelli/whatever program), Spotify in the background, command line on the taskbar for easy access.

…-casually sits with trackpad and history of playing every pc game ever with a trackpad-

trackpoint > mouse or touchpad.

But more importantly, what are you using a pointing device for when coding?

Perhaps moving up and down the rows or sideways along lines? :stuck_out_tongue:

Holding the arrow keys aren’t a very fast way to navigate a text file.

pageup, pagedown, arrows, trackpad.

i’ve actually gotten so used to trackpadding that my hand barely knows how to mouse anymore.

10j (Move down 10 lines)
5w (Move to start of 5th word)
:50 (Move to line #50)
$ (Move to end of current line)
/regex-pattern (Search and move to match)
gg (Move to beginning of file)
zz (Scroll view to put cursor line in the middle)
etc.
A pointer is a terrible way to scroll or navigate text :wink:

1 Like

?? I suppose you do. (Didn’t get that)

I don’t like laptop touchpads

Me neither… I guess I’d have a desktop if it weren’t for my need of portability :confused:

The neccesities:

• Eclipse for coding
  • Chrome for researching stuff I don’t know about the code
  • My laptop…

The can-barely-work-withouts

• Usually must be at my desk
  • Music, any kind related to The Beatles
  • A mouse
  • Bright screen, and lighting
  • No distractions
  • Glass of ice water, a really big glass…
  • Second screen (at my desk…)

Brackets or Atom for webdev and Node.js stuff, IDEA or Eclipse for java. (mainly IDEA)

I barely get any work done. Any help? D:

f.lux master race. :smiley: