DarkArcana Discussion

Nothing was/is witheld, that wasn’t the issue; one person was banned because they posted private conversations publically but that’s it. All details about the project are and continue to be totally open. Some things are withheld for a short period if they’re going to form part of a larger announcement, because it is easier to digest some things in cohesive pieces.

I strongly recommend watching the state of sponge podcasts, these are on the last saturday of the month. For various unfortunate reasons we had to skip the last one, but the next is on the 25th. These are interactive sessions where the bulk of the content is a Q&A.

As I’ve said. The best thing to do with this specific issue is to let it die. It’s making none of us any younger and there just isn’t a resolution to it which is going to make everyone happy. We just need to move on.

If you’re concerned about transparency in general, then by all means open up discussion on it but this thread really isn’t the most suitable venue. I’d suggest the channel Sponge on esper, or start a new topic.

Why Is every time the term ‘Open-Source’ shows up people expect it to mean that EVERYTHING to do with the project would be completely open source?

Open source means here the code is visible to everyone. It does not mean the project is open-source. The project still has owners, staff, and contributors, and each one has different power on the project. Open source does not mean someone can come up and demand staff rights.

Open source is not full transparency. For example, exploits within software are to be kept hidden until theres a proper fix to the project or it has become clear that the project is not willing to do anything toward fixing it. You dont want people discovering an exploit, then immediately post it explaining how to replicate it, allowing everyone to exploit existing users before it is fixed. The same way, staff drama and decisions are generally hidden. Most users using the software do not understand how it works, and so, do not have any decision in it. The ‘need to know’ doesnt apply when all it does is put people on the totem pole when most of the observers know nothing on what is happening.

2 Likes

All of which is true. That said, even though there’s no implied requirement to be open about other things we as a team try to be as transparent as possible because there’s no reason not to be.

Since this is now wandering off topic I’m going to lock this thread for now.