Educate yourself before asking!

Ha! Relatively new here and in the process of porting over my mod / plugin. So on several items that I want to find more info about, I go up to my search, type in something I want to find more information about and as I’m going through the results and clicking on the page… I see a bunch of :

“It is your duty to educate yourself before posting.” - topic closed (aren’t questions part of self education?)
" but there’s a search bar that you can use next to your name."
“Could you please use common sense before posting? I mean, I’m sorry if I sound rude, but this is the second useless post within a few minutes. There have been many threads on this topic”
“Please read before posting. I’m not going to tell you where the page for sponge plugins are”
“Please do some research in the future before posting” - topic closed

With that in mind, I remember reading something about Sponges primary premise which is “The Sponge project adheres primarily to Wheaton’s Law: “Don’t be a dick.””

Seems like it’s much easier for people to not answer the question and instead reply with comments like the above. Problem is, for the people who join later on and actually search out their topics, they have to go through all that stuff to get to the actual answer.

Anywho, no real problem, just something that I noticed right off the bat as a new user… I’m smart enough to go through all that junk and get my answer.

1 Like

The problem is that most peoples questions are answered in documents like the FAQ and are just flat out lazy.

3 Likes

This forum, or actually any forum are generally not very newbie-friendly. You have to know what/where docs are and how to read them before asking question.

Sorry, but reading the FAQ is something you usually do before even joining the community.

7 Likes

Because the majority of MC players / devs consists of a younger croud, its something they might not do before joining a new community.

I’m old… so I know all of this already. :smiley:

Not newbie friendly? No forums I have ever been on has had these user created posts.

They were on the front page. There are many more like it.
Doesn’t get much more friendly than that in my opinion.

5 Likes

That’s why we don’t like these repeated questions all the time; they hide the useful topics.

1 Like

Literally all three of those topics are pinned and are the three headline topics of the Sponge category.

There is no excuse for not reading them first.

3 Likes

Actually, I think there is… :slight_smile:

Age, maturity level and laziness being the main reasons. That’s why you have a lot of people asking.

Anywho, can’t wait to actually start digging in… Have fun guys…

No, you’re completely wrong.

Regardless of whether you still suckle at a tit or you are a glorified sloth you still see those links on the homepage when you first go to these forums.

There is absolutely no excuse.

Edit: If you are legally blind and do not have Windows Narrator turned on, that is a valid excuse.

1 Like

Do anyone actually reads License and Agreement before they check the box right next to it?
:smile:

no<frggewrgewrgerg

Popeus does!

[quote]No, you’re completely wrong.

Regardless of whether you still suckle at a tit or you are a glorified sloth you still see those links on the homepage when you first go to these forums.

There is absolutely no excuse.

Edit: If you are legally blind and do not have Windows Narrator turned on, that is a valid excuse.
[/quote]
Completely wrong? First off, I said “Think”, so that is the key word here. That in itself makes me completely correct.

Next, for someone who believes in proper forum usage and policies, I personally feel like you’re borderline breaking Sponges “Wheaton’s Law”.

Enjoy your day, and great weekend.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. We hold everyone to the same standard here if you do not wish to follow then there is no place for you here.

(I need to find a better way to word this)

4 Likes

You’re exactly right… that’s a real life statement, and makes sense here too. I see that “Ban Happy” next to your name… so im gonna tread carefully. :slight_smile:

Its a joke really :slight_smile: I just like being the first one to get the spam bots

Ah… gotcha! .

I must say that reading info on a post that is XX months old, I would wonder if it’s still the latest info…

Also, I would be tempted to ask the same question to see if there something i did not see or comprehend in another post.

info could be there somewhere, but written in a way i don’t understand it woudn’t be that i did not educate myself, could be helpful to provide a link to the refered post instead of just a plain and empty answer “Please do some research in the future before posting” - topic closed’’

We are working on fixing this with the Wiki / Docs That will be rolling out soon!

If you read something in a thread, and do not understand it, reply to that thread! If you did not see something, try using key words in the search bar. (IE: “porting” to see if plugins will be ported). Look at a few threads and you are bound to find what you are looking for. If not, then make a new post. We help people who help themselves!

1 Like

A wiki that looks like this would be awesome :slight_smile:
I mean… User friendly, and maybe newbie friendly.

1 Like