EULA discussion (continued from other thread)

If you would like to code a jetpack for me, i will gladly use it for my server.

Actually, it didnt. It was always a donation, it is there choice to donate to us, we are not making them pay for things. The fly cmd is obtainable in game by voting, as well other ranks are obtainable from being top voter, using vote tokens, and other such things. It is possible for players to obtain ranks from ingame.

Yea, they do. But people dont just want a hat, they want something useful.

In the eyes of the law, it’s not and never has been. Server owners should NEVER use the term “donation” unless that’s exactly what it is. The definition of a donation is

“The action or right of bestowing or conferring a benefice; the ‘gift’.”

A gift is giving something for nothing. In your case, you are providing expedited and permanent access to something. Is it a donation to Valve when you buy a hat from TF2 because you can get it randomly by chance for free? No, it’s a purchase. You formed a contract with the other party because you exchanged goods, no matter if it is digital, and not exclusively available by cash means. Just because you can get temporary access to said perk through another route, it doesn’t make it a donation when you buy permanent access.

People can choose to buy goods from a particular shop. They don’t make people pay for things either. That doesn’t make the potential transaction with the shop a donation.

Remember, the EULA rules apply to everyone. As others on this forum have said, on your own head be it if you, or any server owner breaks them and gets caught.

Regardless, I don’t see what any of this has to do with creating a lottery plugin that has different conditions/restrictions on different permission sets. I can’t imagine it’d be too difficult to write that.

3 Likes

It’s actually almost trivial given the EconomyAPI + SubjectOptions, If I wasn’t behind as it was I’d take it up.

Wow this got so ridiculous, I thought the points were pretty clear… I don’t even see how you could use real money for this, that’s just silly. In my case its for ranks that earned, if you want to sell it then go ahead its none of my business.

4 Likes

At @ryantheleach’s request, I’ve moved the posts from this thread into a new topic. While this is an important discussion, it’s not related to @Gershon’s original plugin request.

Thank you for clarifying. Ranks are usually bought, this is what started the confusion.

The problem is not what people want, it’s what they don’t want. It’s all well and good for the people who can afford (or even want to buy) these objects, but the other players care, too. You might think that your donators love being able to fly, but what about the non-donators who don’t have flight? They’re the ones who feel it the most, because suddenly someone else has a huge advantage over them simply because they paid extra money. They already bought Minecraft, why should they have to pay more for extra perks? They feel cheated out of a fun experience. Saying that the people on your server help other people out is meaningless. Even if they do, that’s not because the perks aren’t that game-changing, it means they’re owned by good people. For every ten people who will put that block on top of your house, there’s one who will put TNT there instead, light it, and fly away cackling. Limiting paid products to cosmetics only means that players can support their favorite server, get something in return, and show it off to people without having any sort of advantage over them, making them not feel cheated out of a fun experience.

And if you’re firm in your belief that the perks don’t matter that much because players share them, why not just do server-wide rewards? It’s specifically allowed in the EULA to put up for purchase (or for meeting a donation goal) perks that affect gameplay as long as all players get the exact same perk at the exact same time in the exact same way.

1 Like

I’m not on either side of this discussion, I just wanted to point out a couple of things that I have read while lurking this thread. Firstly, I agree with @dualspiral 100% in response to @Bubbaman5. Even if you call something a donation, and it’s 100% a non-profit donation in your eyes, in the eyes of the law and you sold a good or service to one of your players, you broke the contract of the EULA that you signed when you setup your server.

This is kind of funny, isn’t it? Bringing in the viewpoint of the players who can’t afford to donate really changes the light of the conversation when you think about it from a moral standpoint. The harsh reality is, businesses do not care about the people who can’t afford their products. In a larger sense, people don’t care about people who don’t have money. They never will; and that is the unfortunate truth. You can see this everywhere.

My question is, why hasn’t this conversation changed to all of the ways you can fund your server without breaking the terms and conditions of the EULA. I somewhat agree with Bub on the fact that people just won’t buy cosmetic things for real money, especially in Minecraft. The only reason I never donate to a server, even if it is my favorite one, is because Minecraft servers are temporary, but that may be just me.

1 Like

But the business here is Mojang, and you’ve already paid for Minecraft. The server isn’t the one looking out for its players, Mojang is. Damn straight the server doesn’t care about nondonators, or we wouldn’t have this problem.

The concept of donating revolves around the fact that you care about its cause. People bought P2W stuff because they got a huge advantage over other players by clicking a couple buttons. When you make sure they don’t get an advantage, donations only come from people who like and care about the server. The way to make people buy P2W stuff is to offer it at all; the way to make people buy currently legal stuff is to put the money to work and make the server a really good one.

For the years we ran our minecraft server, rather small (20-30 players online at once), we pulled in a hundred or two per month and pretty much just changed the color of your username in chat. It wasn’t about getting an advantage, but was rather about supporting a server they enjoyed playing on so that it could last.

For those that actually know about the EULA, what is considered an advantage? For example, are these considered and advantage for EULA purposes:

• Ability to set extra homes the player can teleport to
  • Ability to perform an action additional times over a set restriction (For example: increasing the number of items a player can list for auction)
  • Ability to use certain features not available to free users (For example: a minigames server having classes that require payment)
  • Ability to use reserved slots on a server
  • Convenience for an action already possible (For example: allowing use of /tpahere when all players can use /tpa)

Sorry, I know some are vague, and that’s why I tried to provide an example for those.

I’m reasonably certain that all of those classify as advantages. However, the reserved slots are allowed on almost all major servers.

I thought the last 2 wouldn’t be advantages, and maybe the third. I’ll look deeper into the EULA if I get a chance to.

OK, looks like the language specifically used is ‘cosmetic items’, so everything above is considered an advantage.

Source: Mojang Studios Account (Servers and Hosting section)

However, I will point out that most of this is targeted at exploitive servers. Around the time the EULA was clarified, Notch posted this (However, Notch no longer is part of Mojang).

Obligatory disclaimer: IANAL, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

The paid minigame classes almost certainly violates the EULA - unless the paid classes add purely cosmetic effects, such as particles or sounds.

All of the others are in a fairly grey area when it comes to the EULA. Whether an extra command is a non-cosmetic feature is open for interpretation. If you’re thinking of doing this on a real-world server, you’d probably want to contact Mojang for clarification.

4 is against the EULA. You’re not allowed to selectively restrict access to your server, it’s either everyone gets in or everyone pays.
1 is, because it’s basically teleport points. You can teleport to five places, I can only teleport to two.
2 is, because it’s literally an advantage - you can do this faster than I can.
5 is the only one I consider a gray area.

Doesn’t matter. You agree to it, bindingly, when you start a new server. Ergo, it applies to you, no matter what you’re doing with it.

I know that it doesn’t matter from a legal standpoint. I’m talking about from a moral/what Mojang will prosecute standpoint. As pointed out above, reserved slots for donators is 100% against the EULA, but happens on many big servers, and they aren’t taken down.

Just because they aren’t taken down (yet), doesn’t mean that you should do it. Claiming “but they do it too” isn’t ever a defence, if you get caught and you say that in any situation, you’re just asking for trouble.

No, while it came into effect because of exploitative servers, it’s targeted at all servers. As @pie_flavor said, it doesn’t matter, you agreed to be bound by it.

For what it’s worth, I think ALL your points are against the EULA. Quite simply: if a paid for perk unfairly discriminates against other players in that it makes gameplay easier, then you’re breaking the EULA. On your point 5: /tpahere is an example of that, you’ve added a gameplay perk to a set of players that others don’t have. Just because there are ways to emulate it, doesn’t mean it’s the same. The command is not cosmetic, it’s gameplay altering. It’s the same as point 2, “I can do this faster than you can”.

The only way you can have paid perks is if someone pays for a perk that is granted to the entire server. You can time limit this, so you could have someone pay $1 for 30 minutes of /tpahere, but then everyone would have to get access to it for the same amount of time.

It’s worth noting that they’ve updated their commercial use guidelines - the look clearer and should hopefully answer more questions. Relevant excerpt below:

…if you comply with and follow the Brand and Asset Usage Guidelines and Naming Guidelines … YOU MAY:

• charge for access to your server, including a server which hosts your Mods, BUT only if:
  • you make a single charge per person that is the same for everyone;
  • you give everyone you charge, access to all the Mods that you choose to have on your server (except only in respect of genuine admin tools / admin Mods which should be reserved to administrators);
  • you only give access to your server to users who have a genuine paid for version of Minecraft;
  • you own or control the server and continue to do so for the whole time that you charge for access to it - so, if you sell the actual servers or server space with Mods pre-installed on them, you must ensure that the person buying the server is aware that s/he must follow these rules. Essentially you can’t get round the rules above by setting up servers with Mods on and then selling those set-ups; and
  • overall your access charges should be targeted to cover your operational costs of running the server.
  • ask for donations (as opposed to direct charges) IF you do not offer the individual donor something in exchange that only he or she can use. You may offer server wide rewards if donation goals are achieved though.
  • sell cosmetic items, except for “Capes”, IF the item sold does not give a user an unfair gameplay advantage over anyone else on the server - i.e there can be no “pay to win”.
  • sell positive effects or enhancements (other than “Capes”) IF everyone on the server is positively affected in exactly the same way.
  • provide in-game advertising opportunities, sponsorships, or product placement for 3rd parties IF they don’t degrade or interfere with gameplay or give a user an unfair gameplay advantage over anyone else on the server.
  • use in-game currencies IF (i) they are “soft currencies” i.e. a currency earned or expended only through gameplay that has no real world value and that cannot be cashed out, used or transferred across free or paid servers, or converted into “credits”; and (ii) you don’t give the impression that it comes from or is associated with Mojang.
1 Like

I know it isn’t a defense. I’m pointing out that although it’s against the EULA, Mojang is accepting it.

Also, they didn’t come into effect because of exploitive servers. They were enforced because of exploitive servers. The EULA has always had language that prohibited this behavior, Mojang just decided to start enforcing it.

Yes, I know that everything is against the EULA, I referenced said guidelines in a previous post.