Forum Suggestion: Signatures

I looked through most of the profile options and found nothing about signatures. I also looked to see if there were any similar suggestions and there were not. I wanted to know if there is a specific reason why there is no signature option, or was it just overlooked until now.

Thanks, Lord Alexander

That’s intended. Signatures are often intrusive and disturb the flow of conversation.

8 Likes

The developers of Discourse intentionally left signatures out of the forum software because signatures are distracting. I am having trouble finding the link to the relevant discussion on the Discourse forums, but it’s there somewhere.

Personally, I think this was a good decision. You are able to edit your user card, though. User cards are functionally similar to signatures.

3 Likes

Profile cards are neat, and profile pages let me get away with way bigger kitten pictures than ever before. I’m not bothered.

8 Likes

Ok first off, moved to meta since this is a suggestion for the forums. Second off I personally say no to any form of automated forum signatures (it’s extremely intrusive and annoying to see the same thing printed every time someone posts). More discussion of this was done on the actual discourse forums here.

I believe I actually suggested this a while back in The Lounge (Regular Only Category). I’ll see if i can find it and move it to meta so others can see.

What if signatures were restricted to a single line of immutably sized, colored, and positioned text? I get why flashy banners would be annoying, but plain text would add a bit of flavor I think.

Found it!

1 Like

Honestly even if they were restricted to be “non-obtrusive” (in itself debatable), the only thing people would put in their sig is a link/shoutout/whatever to their own site/server/plugin/whatever OR a “clever/witty/funny” comment that no one cares about anyway.

2 Likes

Everyone cares about my bad jokes! :frowning:

3 Likes

Ikr? even so, The way discourse is, there is no need for signatures as it would just look and fell wrong.

3 Likes

^This. Discourse was made to feel simple and to the point. Adding signatures would pretty much defeat the purpose of this.

3 Likes

There’s a thing going on another forum (Discourse) where if you put anything inappropriate in your sig, it gets changed to a pony picture for 30 days.

We could do that if someone puts a server in theirs :trollface:

Off topic: But I like ponies…

On topic: Profile cards work well for signatures. I like how it is.

The good point about Discourse is that it is built around a principle of high readability to the point you just jump from one comment to an other without stopping your reading flow or even realizing it sometimes.

Adding signatures would break that. They largely usually serve for promotion of yourself and/or of your content. Now I believe if content is worth promoting the community will judge it by itself and keep the thread alive and on top.

So I’m personally strongly against the idea. Profile cards are good enough.

4 Likes

Alright, easy readability is what you guys we’re going for. My question was answered so this can be deleted, or you can leave it for others. Thanks.

It’s likey best left open for people so we can reference this thread if the question comes up again. :wink:

1 Like