GriefPrevention Official Thread [1.10/1.11/1.12] TOWN/WECUI Support

could I have the bukkit/spigot link for that?

Thank you! I will try that. Downloading it now.

This is the plugin I’m glad to see planned to be ported over to Sponge. :D
Many freebuild servers would have a tough time without it.

Awesome work! :slight_smile:

Ill be porting my GP addon as well (HexRestrict). Worked great in the past on mcpc+ with tekkit.

Are there griefs it protects against that GP does not? If so, please elaborate, because I have something to address.

Doubtful, but maybe. More likely I’ll just prevent overlap. From an anti-grief standpoint, WG is hugely bloated (and it requires an entirely non-anti-grief WorldEdit as well). Making GP a front-end for WG would require everyone who wants to use GP to also get WG and WE, and WG includes many features that aren’t necessary for anti-grief. So that change would be a negative for ease of use, and a negative for efficiency (or positive for “bloat”, but I that’s a dirty word I don’t like to use). There may be some positives - I’ll wait and see what Nentify’s response is regarding specific actions WG protects against that GP doesn’t.

I do understand that sometimes server owners want some of WG features in their world along with GP, and that’s why I do intend to make it easier to run both on the same server together. I’ll do that by not allowing GP claims to overlap WG regions, and vice-versa.

I think you may be overstating the situation - based on my conversations with sk89q, I think mods will continue to be a huge anti-grief problem for sponge, just like they were in classic Tekkit. He seems unwilling to push for a requirement to force all plugins/mods to ask anti-grief before they make changes, so sloppy plugin/mod authors will be accidentally creating tools for griefers to use, which plugins like WG and GP won’t be able to stop. See his responses here:

http://forums.spongepowered.org/t/request-critical-anti-grief-plugin-support-with-future-client-mods-in-mind/

I believe (?) you need to add items manually for GP, however, WorldGuard automatically protects everything. WorldGuard also has much faster load up times with thousands of regions, while GP can take a good minute or two now.

1 Like

Yes GP is one of the most seriously essential modules for minecraft. Looking forward to using it

I can agree with you.

Yay! Glad to see GriefPrevention here :smile:

1 Like

Add items? Like what? Sorry, I just don’t follow. Are you talking about new items added by mods?

In the config, you have to add specific blocks that you want to protect inside a claim.

Huge relief to see you back, @BigScary! GP was becoming quite a problem child on my server to the extent where I tried to re-write a similar thing myself, although due to various circumstances like hard drive loss and lack of electricity at my house, I think I’ve just about given up developing for the time being. GP was quite a bit more usable and stable before the new developers. No offence to them, assuming they just had a different idea of how it should have been setup.

I hope you don’t get too exhausted working with the Sponge API for a while!

I also wasn’t quite happy with BC_Programming’s changes as well, however I was unable to work on the project during that time. I even thought about pulling his access as he kept adding new features instead of fixing bugs.

2 Likes

Glad to hear I’m not senile. Was starting to wonder if certain issues were specific to my server as it didn’t seem to be getting resolved. @.@

That’s only necessary for modded servers which add entirely new types of blocks. Even then, GP is smart enough to make intelligent guesses about blocks and entities based on whether they have inventory, are animals or not, etc. The config options are a stopgap for types of blocks that manage to slip through the cracks. I’ll be reassessing that whole feature set after sponge gets up and running.

Very interesting to know, thanks! If your system can do everything WE can do, then I guess that’d be fine too. Just don’t see why we should re-invent the wheel, especially when WE does it so well and has a lot of extra functions such as flags, adding groups as members, parents, etc.

Either way, I’m sure it’ll be great.

About reinvention, it’s a moot point now because it’s already done, but it does carry some value anyway. I started GP because I thought that other anti grief options were not as easy to use as they could be (for players and for admins), and didn’t completely solve all solvable grief problems. On that first point regarding ease of use, one of the big benefits of GP is that it’s just one download, and for most servers no editing the config file is needed either. Taking a dependency on WG, which then has a dependency on WE, would mean giving up a lot of that “ease of use” for admins, because now it’s a 3-download process which adds lots of features that may not be needed. That’s my major reason for not wanting to heavily hook into WG for sponge (although a light hook would be good for avoiding land protection overlaps between the two plugins).

1 Like

Valid points too, and at the time, there was little else that had protection up to GP’s standards. I look forward to future updates! :slight_smile:

I don’t feel GP was trying to do WE’s job, personally (assuming ya mean WorldGuard). WorldGuard certainly isn’t as user friendly in comparison (most people just seem to be more familiar with WG), and I’m not even sure how to scale it to fit player purposes. It seems like more of an admin tool in my mind. The only associating of WG and GP I’d like to see is to prevent people claiming inside WG claims they don’t have permissions to modify (soft-dependency of course), but I suppose that’d hold true to other protection plugins as well. I guess GP just seems more geared towards player use, more so than WG. I even tend to use WG on my server along side GP to protect admin structures, but not something players have access to.

On that note, and slightly going off topic, I’d be interesting if Sponge would implement a canBreak() method or variable into the VoxelEvent, which may be able to come in handy for protection plugins to somewhat detect if another plugin is kicking in to protect the block. Not a well fleshed out idea, though.