Hosting services

OVH is good in terms of defense. I used to run a system with 64gb RAM (not all of it was directly to the server obviously, we partitioned it out for all of our services) for 109$ a month but I now work with my very first host, MCPH. The prices are a little iffy at first, but the simplicity and assistance they provide is really what sold it for me. They do use multicraft however so if you’re (like me) a mcmyadmin person, sorry, but multicraft works too. 40$ for a 8gb server

@OffLuffy,

O.o RAM Disks?They are running Minecraft on virtual hard drives in RAM? That is what we used in the 1980s before we even had hard drives. Now they call them SSDs. There is no way that I know if that anyone can spam an SSD hard enough from even a fully modded server while running dynmap render full and world border fill at the same time. You must have had an amazing Vanilla Bukkit server. MCMMO was too much for them I guess. I call QUACK on them… :smile:

I run both TCAdmin and a custom MultiCraft panel with auto sub-domain creation, steam games and one button install for some Mod Servers. I think I need to check out MCMA again to see what they have done new.

Bill Sr., Owner
True World Gaming

Well, atleast you sated your affiliation before shamelessly promoting Akliz xD Gotta take a look there next time I need a server.

1 Like

It was a fairly shoddy small server, and even more semi-vanilla than that. Didn’t use mcMMO or dynmap and didn’t even use WorldEdit heavily. My friend was just interested in starting a server to try it out. Had a bit of a bad start though I suppose.

Can’t vouch for it much as I haven’t used it, but it still seems like RAM disks are a prominent thing, running on better RAM than was available in the 80’s I can only imagine, although otherwise the idea being virtually the same. I’ve seen a few people suggest running MC on RAM disks if there’s enough spare RAM. I’m sure SSDs would work quite well otherwise (I’d be inclined to it over RAM disks at any rate). I suspect, if anything, maybe just an oversold host that would cause it to have issues like that.

I personally wouldn’t want to use a ram disc to save data on for larger sets of data, other than small rapidly written to files, as you can lose a bit of data on them in an unexpected system crash, depending on how often the data gets backed up to the physical disc. The use of SSDs isn’t all that bad, although you would want to have regular backups on those and/or run with a redundant raid setup, as the MC servers can be a bit hard on the writes for those drives(sort of depends on how active the server is and what plugins you use on the server.).

As for what hosting service I use for my servers, it’s basically myself, I host the gaming servers off of my own connection. The only ones that are hosted with someone else are the ones that are download mirror websites, as those would use to much bandwidth for my connection to handle.

1 Like

I live by BeastNode. Fantastic support and extremely reliable

For anyone who like more control over their server, I highly recommend setting up a machine on Linode. It’s reasonably priced for what you get.

As far as the $ per RAM, it’s about the same price as FragNet, although the fact that it’s a VPS and it’s SSD based makes it look quite attractive. I’d be interested in any opinions people have about how well it handles an MC server.

I personally like NuclearFallOut’s hosting. They have very low prices, especially for VDS, and very good hardware. They also have great webhosting for as little as $30 a year, or free with a single game server.

I’ve never heard of them, I’ll have to check them out!

As far as how it handles, it’s pretty flawless. The only drawback is it’s a shared box, and if you choose a Linode between 1-8Gb of Ram, you only get some many vcore, so performance is kinda iffy depending on what you’re running/doing. I used a 16Gb Linode and it was fairly sporty. We ran a Feast the Beast server on it with 60+ players with no issues.

https://www.pulseheberg.com/game/mc

4.99€ for unlimiter slots, 4Go of ram, unlimited disk, unlimited MySQL, 30 slots Mumble, 100mo web space.

I have a server here for one year, best offer for the price i ever seen.

Why pay for a server to run via a company, why not just invest some of your time and a little money and get yourselves some PIs! You may not think this will work, but it works out much cheaper than paying every month for a server, and it gives you, the owner, total control over all of your files.

Note: You will need some prior experience about hosting a server via your own computer and not through a company to do this!

If you are interested check out my post to see all about it here, in my opinion this is the best way to get your Minecraft Server out there, running 24/7.

The issue with that is people don’t always want to give out home ips, or have slow interner (think dial-up, it isn’t as uncommon as you may think)

People don’t have to give out their own IP, you can connect them to an external IP like I do! :smiley:. And yes, they would need good internet speeds to do this, I have 9-12 Ping all the Time, 90mb/s Download Speed and 22mb/s Upload Speed. So my internet is more than enough to run this type of thing.

I’m pretty sure an external ip, is the personal one. If it’s coming through your router, most likely people don’t want to give out that ip beyond thier friends.

2 Likes

if you’re talking about your external ip as in wan ip, then that is your personal ip.

I personally don’t have any problem with people having my IP, they do and I’ve never been attacked or something, and I have several “possibly hackable” services running. One day I’ll suffer and change my mind :wink:

My big thing against home hosting is what if I irritate some script kiddie ten year old? Then I have a DDOS killing my internet.

If you have a whitelisted server for older people I don’t see the problem of home hosting. Other than that though, you should get hosting from a company.

Ten year olds can’t DDOS you. Can they?