Husk vs. Sponge

Husk? What community? lel. That’s a good joke you got there.

1 Like

I knew this sponge was the answer when I saw that sk89q was here.

3 Likes

It’s like saying that IIS is clearly better than Apache or Nginx because they paid people. I think not.

Or Internet Explorer vs Chrome & Firefox

2 Likes

At least this child has somewhat achieved a sort of design skillset.

1 Like

Even still you shouldn’t create a project based around lies.

Windows vs Linux, Grooveshark vs Spotify, the list goes on. Any project that people work on because they want to will always surpass anything ‘paid employees’ can manage, because it was done with gusto. :)

–EDIT–
Take a look at vanilla vs forge. I rest my cake.

7 Likes

Whatever Husk or Arrow Project implement, Sponge can implement about 5 times faster with 20 times better performance from them.

Husk comes in and says how it is going to be “so much better than Sponge,” but pride goes before the Fall.

3 Likes

Has the Arrow Project even started? Cause from what I saw they were looking for devs?

The Arrow Projects forums isn’t even up anymore, so I think that suggests that it isn’t going to well…

Oh ok, that makes sense xD

Just sit back and eat your popcorn until they actually show something :wink:
That’s what I’m doing anyway

I will be eating popcorn for a long time. I don’t care for Husk or Arrow Project anyway. I’m just adding my 5 cents here.

1 Like

The problem is that if anyone working on the clean room version has seen the original implementation of craftbukkit, and the resultant clean room code looks similar to the original implementation code, it could be very problematic. There is also the federal case that seems to indicate that the API itself is copyrightable which muddies the waters even further.

The real question centers around the status of Bukkit itself (rather than craftbukkit, the implementation). I don’t think Bukkit itself is actually subject to the DMCA takedown; however, Bukkit’s legal status is also in question. Quite frankly, it is safer to make a clean break with it, which is what Sponge is doing.

On another topic here on the forum, there is a discussion to create a translation layer to map Bukkit to Sponge. My guess is that is not going to go well. Differences in the event models and other underlying things may make a reasonable mapping very difficult while maintaining expected behavior on the Bukkit API end.

It appears the Sponge developers are taking this opportunity to make some reasonable improvements to compensate for the weaknesses in the Bukkit API, which, if in moderation, is the right call considering that Bukkit plugins will have to be ported to Sponge (absent the aforementioned “shim” or translation layer).

3 Likes

Exactly…

1 Like

So far i’m not taking sides with either sponge or husk because none have really shown much yet. But once both are complete that’s when you can say who’s better and who isn’t.

I like the name Sponge better. More open and porous :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

If given the choice between running a server with anything put out by M$, or any of it’s drone employees, or continuing my full support of an ‘open source’ community such as Sponge, which for a known fact has been THE MAIN AND ONLY SUCCESS to Minecraft in the public server arena, I will choose the community , not M$, to run a Minecraft server. I have never needed M$ for anything, including my personal computer OS, nor my server OS, and never will. Any and all devs committed to Sponge have my full support.
I am fully prepared to offer, for free, a small VPS for any devs (pending sk89q and blood’s approval) who could use one for testing. I run my own servers inside VM’s. I run on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS OS, and can ensure any software/application that Linux offers can be installed for use.

2 Likes

I wish I could block Husk threads, and the sole cheerleader who starts them.
It’s pretty clear it’s just trolling - there is ZERO content for Husk.
I like seeing the alternatives for MC servers, and Husk is not one of them.
In that sense, Sponge is infinitely better.

Just looking at the website I’d say it’s nothing but a bunch of empty promises…
No different than the 30-some odd bukkit replacements that have sprung up recently, they’re just talking big talk before even getting work started on the project I’m sure…

Sponge is the future, not corn :smile:

Husk will not be better than Sponge. It may have potential, but it certainly won’t and cannot beat Sponge.
__
I’m a new user at the SpongePowered Forums and I want to ask a few questions about Husk.

• Why is everyone believing that Mojang & Microsoft will endorse Husk?
    Their website clearly states:

Minecraft is a registered trademark of Mojang AB.
Enterprise Minecraft is not associated with Mojang AB.

So does that mean all along, the owners have been lying?

• Why does having Bukkit implemented a good thing?

The time for Bukkit has past. I’m pretty sure most plugin developers have stopped working on Bukkit Plugins.

I think I will stop developing cuz bukkit is falling down and I have no feature plans on this if there isnt any bukkit :confused: - Robin3210 (Bukkit Developer of TRGAuctions)

as one of the examples, people are leaving the Bukkit Phase.

• Husk is Bukkit only, yet Sponge can run Forge mods and Sponge Plugins?

Tell me how Husk is better than Sponge (+ the fact that Sponge Plugins Developers are working on a port to load Bukkit Plugins).?

__
If you can successfully answer these questions on the Husk side, then you earn yourself a cookie. I, however, personally believe that Sponge has the better hand between Husk and Sponge.

3 Likes