My First Series of projects

Hello Everyone,

Dunge here again,

I made a posting here a while back located here! I am still researching java after some advice was given to me. I haven’t done anything fancy with java but I have studied java. I want to learn how to code plugins and have some ambitious goals. Listed below are just a few.

I wish to start out with a Block logger plugin due to a need in block logging and roll back for my server I plan to have up and running. If anyone whom knows plugin development that can get me pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I want to also say as well, that I am not wanting someone to preach at me about not learning to mod or build plugins without knowing java or learning java. I do know some basics and such. I only take interest in something that is useful to me. Since my server is done in java and uses modified java code, and needs java code in order for something to be added then I need to learn how to apply what I have learned into coding.

With that being said I plan to start with something basic, I want to start with a block logger plugin. I am not sure what I need to do to start this project. I am not sure if I need to start with a core plugin because if I can successfully complete this project then I will branch off from this. Mainly I want the plugin to have an inspect feature simular to Grief Prevention and I want it to also handle claims protection as well.

Other plugin plans include a ban manager plugin with a website gui simular to banmanager from bukkit. I also wish to either create a group manager plugin simular to essentials group manager. with working /promote and /demote features with the possibility of a multiple ladder setup.

If this is successful I may move on into Modding to add my own mods for forge as well. If anyone is willing to assist in this project please shoot me a pm, I am willing to accept anyone whom is willing to help someone fresh to the game of coding and help assist me on my goals.

Thanks for taking the time to read,
Your Friend,
Dunge

To get a first insight into Sponge and SpongeAPI, you can have a look at our docs ( https://docs.spongepowered.org/ ) and the javadocs ( https://jd.spongepowered.org/3.0.0/ ). If you’re running into more specific issues, just ask here on the forums or on IRC i’m sure someone will point you in the right direction :wink:

Thanks for your prompt response. My goal on this post is really to meet others whom can assist and be a go to when I am needing assistance with code specifics. Since I am not sure how to author the plugins and such. With mod development there were a few tutorial vids that got the viewer to blank template. I don’t have that for the sponge api. I would need to know the following things, to get me started.

what should the main.class file look like before I get started declaring functions?
I also need to figure out the bare minimum on file structure within the plugin?

Alternatively should I utilize the same file structure as a mod for the basic template?

I would also like to find out how to create a config file and pull info from the config file to use?

I am sure that most would consider this a part of learning java and the tutorials I was following for making a mod was broken after so far in and I didn’t get to cover these things in there except for the basic setup for the main class.

Sorry if this is kinda random, I just thought I would lay out what I plan to accomplish and thanks again for the docs reference links @Tzk that will be a great help moving forward.

Looking forward to getting more feedback.
Thanks for making me feel welcomed.
Your friend,
Dunge

Hey! I’d_ love_ to learn as well, maybe if you are looking for a partner in crime or something we can get together and talk… may I ask for your Skype if you are interested? @Dunge

I am currently running my first test run of plugin programming today. I am still looking for people with knowledge of the api and willing to assist me in getting started. I appreciate all the feed back from before and I have main things noted. If anyone has knowledge on how a basic structure of a plugin should look please let me know.

Thanks again,
Your friend,
Dunge