Never used Discourse

First time I saw it was for Stonehearth. It took me a while to get used to it, but once you get used to it you learn it’s quite a powerful bit of software, even if it looks plain (developed buy the guy who did stack exchange/stack overflow). I installed a test version for my own MC community a couple months ago, without using the docker on a VPS it was a bit annoying, and it ended up being too intensive for our small community. I’m really glad Sponge chose to use it. NodeBB is nice too.

it remids me stackoverflow a lot

Guess it’s CodingHorror’s style :slight_smile:

Been using discourse for many months, don’t really like it :confused:
It just doesn’t keep stuff organized and clean, spams my browser history like crazy, acts weird on phones and [spoiler]lacks proper spoilers[/spoiler] (plus other text formatting stuff)

1 Like

We have managed somehow to spill the discussion about Discourse in two different topics; actually, it seems that the discussion in the referenced topic steered into the direction of this one. :smile:

I just wanted to mention it since it might be of interest or relevance to the reader of this topic.

I have never heard of Discourse before, but as soon as I loaded the site I liked it. Loads fast, nice and simple, no extra bs. +1

1 Like

This is definitely more of a ‘developers’ forum. It’s not as user-friendly (at least, initially) to those unfamiliar with the layout, style, or formatting.

I like it, but it might not be the best for everyone.

1 Like

Very plain and basic. A new theme would be nice, but, as I stated in This thread, I’m not sure how far we would be able to go with themes. Some add-ons would be nice, as well as more recognition of who is staff.

I dislike the continuous scrolling and how much it relies on Javascript, but it has a bunch of good concepts.

1 Like

I personally prefer this look over the old bukkit site’s look, feels much cleaner and well organized. :slight_smile:

This is pretty simplistic. I prefer others but I can definitely work in this.

EDIT: And I agree, it’s really javascript heavy. That’s a minus in my book. HTTP/HTML working pages FTW!

1 Like

I’m kinda liking Discourse. Don’t get any of those Xenforo nerds in here, or they’ll mess it up like those Enjin peeps did. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’d be fantastic if you could make the forums bigger and push it torwards the center, I don’t really like it all cramped up to the left side with a bunch of empty space to the side of it, you know what I mean

1 Like

@Creeoer- Definitely agree, needs to be … wider. Particularly on my 1080p monitor, which this is less than half of. (1920 pixels wide / 2 = less than 970 px :frowning: )

I think you might just be a little racist talking about wanting more “white space”. jk :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@theconspirators he didn’t say white space though 0.o he also wants less not more o.0

@mcmonkey true, though he did say “paste” which, when defined in terms of color usually amounts to white. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a repeat topic, even though it says XenForo

XenForo is the way forward in my opinion.
This seems to ‘Facebooky’. It’s less of a forum and more a chat room in my opinion.

That’s not a repeat topic… he was asking if this forum was going to be temporary.