Sponge XenForo

Hello people of the Sponge Powered Forums Community,
I was wondering if this would be like a temporary forum and eventually we will migrate to XenForo?
I personally find XenForo as a great forum tool, I believe others will too (it is 140 dollars so it better be good :smile:)
I am guessing yes but I just want to be sure.

11 Likes

Personally I strongly prefer Discourse over XenForo.

14 Likes

Personally I like Discourse, XenForo would just be a waste of $140.

13 Likes

IIRC, sponge wanted to test Discourse first and switch over to XenForo if it isn’t enough. I think it was written in one of the Google Docs.

3 Likes

New API, new look. I hope we don’t but its been said that if Discourse doesn’t have everything the community will need then they said they’ll start considering other alternatives.

I’m pretty sure this is not temporary.

The plan was to install Discourse, and if it doesn’t work, then to install Xenforo.

People appear to be liking Discourse though. For the features it lacks, Discourse appears to have some really nice features to make up for it.

And the suggested topics at the bottom? Just addicting.

21 Likes

I found the Google Docs i refered to: Status report on Google Docs

Discourage seems very uh lacking in features compared to other forum sauces, but if they want more of social network board system with statuses, more customizable profiles, and about everything else Discourse has(plus extensions/plugins) they can look into Invision Powered Boards.

3 Likes

I hate discourse, I always have.
I find NodeBB and EsoTalk to be quite nice.

3 Likes

This forum is nice. NodeBB is nice, too.

2 Likes

I like the look of NodeBB, but this seems to be working fine at the moment.

I kinda dislike the design, I don’t know if its final yet.

For forums I prefer the Woltlab Burning Board, it’s cheaper than the most other solutions but works really well.

2 Likes

Hard to be cheaper than free.

Discourse looks beautiful and performs great on Mobile and Desktop. I think we should keep it while adding more features to it through plugins.

4 Likes

Oh god. Please NO NODEBB. It looks ugly as hell.

7 Likes

I don’t too much like Discourse, but I guess it gets the job done. Could be better, could be worse.

What do you have against Discourse? I’m a giant fan. Really a joy to use.

1 Like

I like XenForo more. :C

2 Likes

I don’t really know why people like to get closed source non-free forums, like XenoForo, IPB, or one of the other ones. I’ve always been a fan of open source forums when using them for my own websites.

Oh yes! Forum lurkers beware.

2 Likes