[Planning/WIP] Skyblock

Skyblock hopes to be the next evolution of Skyblock plugins.

History of Skyblock

We began our journey with the immensely popular singleplayer map, which was fun and all but limiting. Not something server owners would ever in their right minds use for players.

The next stage came in the form of mods, Skyblock mods that would add new functionality to the map. Still not server-worthy.

Finally, there came plugins such as A Skyblock and uSkyblock that attempted to bridge the gap between the fun of the map and the potential as a game-mode.

Skyblock intends to be the final stage of this evolutionary process.

Planned Features

Game Mechanics:

1. Custom islands. Allow players to choose what model they want (and have unlocked).
    a. There will be no default island. Why? Due to the nature of Sponge, there is no guarantee any item or block will be in the game. Mods could remove dirt or grass, or change the mechanics. By having you make the island model, you get full control over the items, what’s in the chests, etc.
    b. Chests are generated dynamically. Any chest you tag before saving the schematic (a guide will be available for how to do it) will follow rules to add items. You will be able to add items depending on permissions, randoms, both, or neither. This will also allow custom items, items with lore, etc.
  2. Islands are like societies–there are pecking orders and strength in numbers.
    a. Islands with more people get taxed more but are eligible for bulk purchases in the shop.
  3. No representation without taxation- Islands are taxed based on wealth (quality of blocks, items in players’ inventories, bank acc., etc.), and islands that pay more in taxes are entitled to lower shop prices.
  4. A shop, where players can buy goods for their islands.
    a. Players order on behalf of their island, and every player can have configured island permissions.
    b. If player a is higher than player b, player a can change player b’s island privileges (i.e. the quota for purchases, ability to take items from chests, etc.).
  5. Per-island inventories- whenever traveling between islands, your inventory is left behind.
  6. Buy warps (much like A Skyblock) for your island.
  7. Netherlands (HA! See what I did there?).
  8. Bob: Biomechatronic Omnipotent Bot (it’s a thing). He’s there to help players learn the basics and warm up a cold, isolated island with terrible jokes.

Administrative Features:

1. Staff are allowed to manage anyone’s island and audit them, producing a log of everything that happened on the island.
  2. Staff can define new island mockups.
  3. Staff can manage the shop.

Misc.:

1. A fully-featured API for everything. This includes overriding the island generation, accessing the islands of player(s), getting all sorts of data about people (no, not like the NSA), and adding more dimensions and such.
  2. Every island will be surrounded by a variable number of empty chunks, leaving room for expansion.
  3. When islands are destroyed, the area is flagged as available. The Island Manager will appropriately allocate the island space, reusing old area and reducing the world size.

Note: All company-related things are on hold (and would be better suited as an addon).

Want to see other features included? Reply with your idea!

1 Like

Interesting.I shall be watching this for a bit

Finally a Skyblock plugin… <3

1 Like

Not just a Skyblock plugin :tm:.

A SkyBlock plus X plugin :smiley:

Have an idea you want implemented? Say something (, I’m giving up on you).

This plugin will be completely modular. You can enable or disable specific features or entire modules. For example, you could disable companies, or just disable taxation. You could disable the government shop, or just the bulk discounts.

1 Like

Tbh you listed far more things i’d expect from such a plugin above.
That’s why i’m just happy that someone finally tries to develop such a plugin :wink:

I strive for greatness and ask for help when I fail. Take Vanish, for example. Sure, it’d be a one class file if all it did was hide a player. But @mbaxter wants to implement tiered visibility. Thus, we wait for Contexts.

No quests like the other plugins?

1 Like

Quests! That’s a definite yes.

1 Like

Sounds like it hopes to be. Although ‘Skyblock’ is kind of a generic name for a plugin imo. Not that it’s necessarily bad, just generic. Like if ‘Sponge API’ was called ‘Server API Thing’. :wink:

Imo there should still be a default island, as there are a good number of vanilla users around here. Sure, a mod could remove grass, but it is their server administrators responsibility to then create a custom island to compensate for the loss. Or the mod should replace the block by default anyway.

Seems like a lot of checks are going to be happening at once, especially for larger servers. Basically an entire island’s blocks will be checked against a ‘quality meter’, along with all of the items in a player’s inventory, and bank account? And besides, I can see a monopoly being created off of cheaper shop prices…

Not going to leave a shop up to another plugin?

Going to be configurable, I presume?

I actually want to see this, minus the bad puns. :stuck_out_tongue:

Curiously, what will the data be used for? And what kind of data will be collected?

Also, configurable? Wouldn’t want to have a giant world file/giant empty world.

I’d hope so. Any plugin with half sense should do this. :thumbsup:

And wow. Looking back, I pretty much just reviewed yer post. :smiley:
Hope this project well.

Thanks for the feedback. Every module (like the shop) is configurable, and every feature within is also configurable. For example, you could turn off bulk purchases in the shop, or the entire shop.

As to your concern about how many checks, I agree. I’ll modify it to be based off bank value.

I showed this to my server team, and they love the idea! I hope to see a release sometime for 1.9! and if you need a tester for it let me know. I have the resources to test pretty much anything.

Cool! I’m waiting for certain features of the Sponge API but development should be getting underway this week.

1 Like

Any news and will plugin be able for use for 1.8.9 cause all mods will move to 1.8.9 and i would love to have this plugin on my server :smiley:

The plugin will use the Sponge API, so if Sponge supports 1.8.9 then it will support 1.8.9. On another note, I’m waiting on region support.

I hope you make it soon its rly amazing idea to use .schematics for islands :smiley:

Looks exciting!

Also it would be great if you could add shop for the island but in the shop you can buy actual buildings that are read thro .schematis folder or file xD That would be amazing to be able to buy custom houses for your island :smiley:

Good idea. Still waiting on the Schematics and some other stuff (such as inventories).

1 Like