Sponge Docs Pop Quiz #1

Friends, Forum-Lurkers and Spongineers, lend me your eyes.

In order to stimulate discussion on some topics of importance to SpongeDocs, and the greater Spongiverse itself, I bring you the first Sponge Pop Quiz, a forum where I will put questions to the greater masses. Intended to be something like Vox-Pop meets Q&A, this facilitates user participation in a manner far easier than writing docs :slight_smile:

Here are three quite different issues which we seek opinions and feedback on.

1. What features of Minecraft (and SpongeAPI) are thread safe?
    @Zirconium seeks definitive answers for the documentation. Help compiling the list would be appreciated in the thread here: Thread-safe operations?

2. Do you like the new name of SpongeForge? [The Forge coremod formerly known as Sponge is officially being renamed soon, as was announced recently at State of Sponge V.]

3. Which implementation would you use, SpongeVanilla or SpongeForge?

Note that this is an entirely unofficial exercise in gossip collection, and ideas and propositions discussed here are not intended to be binding or final. Opinions, like implementations, may vary considerably and still be extremely useful. YMMV, and beware of the FLARD

4 Likes
  1. Can’t help with that one.
  2. YES! This way the Implementation and the Projects name are finally separated. SpongeForge fits nice with the other Sponge* names too.
  3. SpongeVanilla and temporary SpongeForge as long as WorldEdit isn’t ported.
  1. Also cant help
  2. What does it matter what my like or dislike is - if it is something that is going to be done, it is something that is going to be done. However, it is a good choice - it may have been too difficult to rename earlier when it was still an etherial project, but its real enough now to be able to do.
  3. Spongeforge

1.) Can’t help either
2.) I like it. It makes it clear that it’s the implementation as a Forge mod and prevents confusion between Sponge(-Forge) and the SpongeAPI (I noticed quite a few people mixing those up)
3.) I’ll probably use both. SpongeVanilla for a public server I’m hosting and SpongeForge probably if I wanna use Sponge plugins on modpacks

I like the rename but I dislike the name SpongeForge as it may erroneously be associated as a forge project like ForgeMultipart has in the past.

Hopefully the fact that Sponge is prepended as opposed to appended will mitigate a little of the confusion.

1 Like
  1. See my comment
  2. I prefer to keep it as Sponge, because I liked the fact that newcomers would end up with a Forge server which I feel for some reason not many bukkit server admins were interested in :frowning:.
  3. SpongeForge all the way
  1. If only I could help myself… :confused:
  2. I think SpongeForge is a good name - it differentiates between the Forge implementation and the overall Sponge project, and should be as similar in name to SpongeVanilla
  3. SpongeForge right now for plugin dev, but probably SpongeVanilla in production
  1. Not a clue, sorry.
  2. Im kind of indifferent about the name change, but it does help to distinguish the two.
  3. SpongeForge!!! Of course, imo the best feature of Sponge is that it natively works with mods without needing to be ported. Im really anxious to see what kind of cooperation between mods and Sponge there will be. For instance, Sponge plugins not only recognizing mods, but also integrating with them in some manner. The amount of awesome features and content forge mods brings to the table, I feel is what keeps veteran players interested in Minecraft. Also with the new forge system not requiring it to be installed on clients connecting to smp, I dont really understand the need for a non-forge version…

As it stands right now, I can install SpongeForge, Plugins, and worldedit for forge and my clients dont need to do anything but connect! So whats the difference? I guess people are arguing that forge creates overhead? Thats got to be negligible, and as far as code goes I cant argue either way. Mainly because I have no idea. And if the API is universal, plugins will work on Vanilla or Forge? So why not have forge and have the ability to throw in some mods? If your players decide they want to try out new things, Technic makes it piss easy to make custom modpacks and share them with your clients. Also Solder for Technic makes maintaining modpacks a cinch!

2 Likes
  1. Not allowed to look at NMS, also replied to the thread already
  2. Yes, that would be more descriptive
  3. Neither

We love to see plenty of feedback on topics such as this, to that end:

This topic is now pinned globally. It will appear at the top of its category and all topic lists until it is unpinned by staff for everyone, or by individual users for themselves.

1 Like
  1. IDK

2. YES!

3. SpongeForge, because it is more implemented

1. I remember reading chat was, Not sure though.
  2. Meh… It’s alright I guess
  3. Probably Forge
  1. I think these are thread safe:
  • chat
  • world read/write operations (only in forge) (if you look in the gameloop, saving and loading happends their. I am sure you could multithread these and update loaded chunks next tick)
  • Sending packets to players.
  1. I like the new name, but I am afraid it only will cause more confusion.
  2. Definitely Sponge Forge.

Well, technically spongevanilla should get updated faster when minecraft updates, because it doesnt depend on forge.

And of course you’re right in terms of compatibility forge without mods works just like vanilla for Clients.

1 Like

I had never considered update times.

1 Like