Sponge Docs Pop Quiz #17

When the confetti has settled and the balloons have deflated, there is always the

Sponge Docs Pop Quiz #17

Bringing only the finest in confusion and befuddlement, we offer these three questions to you, our patient audience. You may have brilliant insights to offer that will stun the team, or simply note a quirk that might otherwise have evaded attention. Many brains make brighter ideas (especially if you connect the electrodes in series).

1. How would you prefer custom data to be stored?
    There are numerous ways this could be done, such as :
    (i) Separately in the <world>/sponge/<pluginid> folder/file
    (ii) Separate condensed files similar to level_sponge.dat

2. What plugin niches remain to be filled?
    The plugin ecosystem covers a wide variety of features and functions. Some areas have had more attention than others; which are still lacking plugins?

3. What sort of server setup would best demonstrate the upcoming Sponge Beta?
    SoS VII was rich with new API, and the servers showed that alpha SpongeForge is already quite robust. What would be appropriate to show off next time, and how?

Once upon a time there was last weekā€™s Quiz and sometime in the foreseeable future there may be more. Until then, let the power of Seventeen flow through you, for the magic of the primes is eternal.

1 Like
  1. I prefer <world>/sponge/<pluginid>.
  2. I have a list of to-do mini plugins for Sponge, the list contains
  • Get money when you kill mobs
  • A plugin that lets the admins see commands ran by players
  • A plugin that gives you money for different actions and how long you are on the server
  • A plugin that sends announcements tailored to playerā€™s actions
  • and moreā€¦
  1. I cannot wait until Minecraft 1.9 because it has a lot of new features for developers such as multiple boss bars and much more I donā€™t remember. I hope Sponge Beta would be released for Minecraft 1.9 when our API will be very stable.
  1. For block/entity data, inside the ForgeData tag. For other stuff, inside level-sponge.dat or a similar per-dimension version.
  2. Personally, Iā€™d like a disguise plugin, an anti-cheat plugin, and a world management plugin. Iā€™m working on something like Orebfuscator, but I havenā€™t gotten it to the point where I can release it.
  3. Maybe a creative server with or without mods?
  1. Consolidated in one location, but away from the plugin folders, such as the per-world/level; stored per-plugin/mod so that any out-of-control-insane stored-every-block-on-map data from one plugin etc can be purged out without impacting other data storage

2. anti-cheat plugin like nocheatplus; an npc-mob controller that can use config scripts that work with the
    AI api for setup-and-forget(up) running simple tasks steadily in background or reacting to events; an alternative to pex for permission handling that approaches multi-world handling differently (like Groupmanager did, etc); a just-worldmanagement plugin to create / control world params (pvp/mob spawning/ etc basic properties), limit/permit dimension portals links per world, and control per-world inventories.
    2b) Orebfuscator-like preventative plugin hence @JBYoshi youā€™re my new hero since Lishid said 'Iā€™m done coding, someone else can run with it"

3. unable to contribute ideas at this point in timeā€¦

2 Likes

1.: (i)
2.: Plugin list:

• A plugin that allows server owners to give money, run a command, or send message to the player on a specific action(changing world to world2, killing a mob, firing a command, etcā€¦)

• Automatic rank system based on adjustable criteria(x time ago the player registered on the server, x time the player has spent on the server, x piece of y block the player has broken/placed, etcā€¦)

• A plugin collecting all the neccessary/essential commands, features a server owner might need.

• A world management plugin with support for multiple worlds, world generators. The plugin could contain a kind of gate system, or configurable inventories per world.

• A Vault-like Sponge plugin which could make a bridge between economy, permission and chat plugins

3.: A type of server when thereā€™s no problem if the player couldnā€™t arrive at x oā€™clock when the minigame starts. Or it could be a minigame server, if there are multiple arenas running in parallel.

1 Like

For some of your plugin requests:

Try EssentialCmds or Core.

Most of this is built in to Sponge. Thereā€™s a PR for an economy API, a permissions API is already built in, and there are some ideas for chat floating around (I canā€™t find where, however).

2 Likes
  1. (i), perhaps they could even be HOCON or JSON, that would make tweaking data a breeze
  2. Heavily customized plugins - currently there are ā€˜essentialā€™ plugins and various utilities, but there are fewer RPG plugins, at least that Iā€™ve seen active
  3. One with so many plugins it explodes :wink: (Probably just a simple, decked out, survival server would do, with banks and grief protection and all that)
2 Likes
  1. How would you prefer custom data to be stored?
    This answer highly depends on what the data is
    There is a few main custom data profiles that I see that can match.

a. per block data, the data is needed for every single block, in the whole world. think of this as flags. Clearly this data must be chunked, as loading the entire worlds worth would be madness. Kept within the worlds folder would be best, as it makes that world portable and the data wouldnā€™t be lost.

b. sporadic block / entities / tile entities. This isnā€™t so bad. Would probably still need to be chunked, but could be chunked over a wider area. kept in the world folder, possibly in separate files per plugin.

c. region like data. Very much something that needs global access / an index and pretty well always needs to be loaded in memory. very well suited to 1 file per world. Could be kept within the world folder, or thought more as configuration and kept with the plugin folder. Could also be done similarly to a level.dat file metadata for a world, or more similarly villages.dat.

1. Anything flavourful. Should contain traces of flard. Try and make opinionated, new, styled ideas, do something ā€œsmallā€ to the best ability you have as a plugin programmer. If you canā€™t make something new, do your own take on something old, donā€™t fall into the traps of copying something exactly, make enough changes that itā€™s something new. As for niches? The best ones donā€™t have names yet.

2. Iā€™d really like to see something with a lot of flashy demoā€™s. Humans, Data, Inventory, Holograms, RPG weapons, wands that control zombies and mobs to target other players, Amusing death messages, Custom terrain, Scoreboards, Selectors,

Humans : NPCā€™s / AI
Inventory: Because itā€™s been missing so long.
Holograms: Because it was a killer feature a year ago, people would be keen on seeing them again on a sponge server.
RPG Weapons: Make Custom Data shine, maybe custom crafting recipes?
Wands: Shows off interaction / block rays / particles / sounds / effects think minigame servers on crack.
ZombieControl: shows off how well the AI works.
DeathMessages: to show off exactly how powerful the cause system is.
Custom Terrain: Itā€™s custom terrain!
Scoreboards: I really think they are useful, + it keeps Aaron happy.
Selectors: Show off some of the power that you can have in commands that can filter and accept groups of people, combine with commandblocks + craftbook!

1 Like