Sponge Docs Pop Quiz #21 - The BETA has Landed

Streaming out of the swirling snow, is it a herd of ducks? No, it is the

Sponge Docs Pop Quiz #21

We stand upon the shoulders of giants. From the foundations of Minecraft modding, sk89q and the select few corralled the spirit of a raucous and rioting community and steered them toward a better future, and at last, here it is: Sponge Beta. Not just a milestone, but a major leap forward for all of those in it’s wake.
Now let’s quibble about the details :wink:

1. Have you heard of the new exploit patches in Sponge implementations?
    Fun times were had on the Sponge Community Server recently, testing patches for exploits. Let us know if there are any that were missed.

2. Would it be useful to maintain a list of sponge-enabled Forge mods?
    There are already a number of mods that include features to interact with Sponge. How many of these are there already, which ones, and what do they do? Are there more planned?

3. Does the Sponge Docs Pop Quiz still have relevance now we have Beta?
    Interest and activity on these forums has increased as we approached the release of Sponge Beta. Should this series of odd enquiries continue in some form?

From Aardvarks to Zebras, our menagerie is now complete and replete with all the necessary armature and legature. Last week’s herd of hoary queries may now roam the wilderness of the community consciousness, and we bring this volume of natural exhibits to a close.

NOTE: This will be the last Docs Quiz for a while (for some values of “while”). Pending available time, the Quiz may continue, but for now, I will be taking a break.

2 Likes
  1. I helped work them out xD

2. That could be cool, but I think it would be up to mod authors to advertise sponge integration features.

3. I think it definitely still has relevance. Even though the API has reached a milestone, I think Sponge as a project and community will continue to grow in many new ways, and I think the Sponge Docs Pop Quiz does a very good job of bringing together a community and making progress. I think they should continue in one way or another, as it is a powerful tool for obtaining organized community feedback to improve Sponge as something special.

1. I’m glad that some of these issues are being addressed in the core server system itself, instead of the bukkit philosophy of 'it has that glitch in vanilla too, so until they fix it - you can make a plugin to deal with that if you want" for such clearly extreme outlier exploitable behaviours. It provides a good indication that in the future such core server ‘misperformances’ can be addressed at the base level independant of how long it takes mojang to to modify the vanilla server behaviour.

2. A curated list would be difficult to maintain, but it would be a proper solution. To be put on a curated list here would mean that it would need to pass more of a test than the ability for the author to simply write “Works with sponge!” on his site. “Works with Sponge” could mean to an author asked by his followers “Yes, it is a working mod, and if you have a sponge server with only this mod, it does not cause a crash, and the mod functions work on the server, so I willl put that lable on the download site” , but be as non-integrated as possible means “WORKS with Sponge on your server” The gold standard is the meaning “Works WITH Sponge on your server to coordinate plugins to work effortlessly with your new blocks or mobs” and may have a gradient of integration levels, with some particular features of integration being vastly more important than others and could allow for a 1 to 5 Spongies integration score based on criteria for the authors to follow. A centralized list provides for that ability to have certain requirements to achieve full blown Spongie is Happy logos and give users a fast ability to see what extent of integration to expect in one place.

3. It will be more relevant as sponge becomes wider spread and a wider base of reluctant authors and users meander through here - alpha-group provides a lot of input and ideas when sometimes, it doesnt matter what is being said as the ideas are already dotted out and folks scrambling to join the lines. Once the system is solid enough, the queestions provide a focused ability to capture the pulse of a broader audience of 'more typical" adopters and help shape a longer-term vision

1. I am currently unaware of any, however the fact that these issues are actually being addressed is great, in reasons similar to that of which @TheBoomer highlighted .

2. A list would be nice, however I believe it is up to the mod developers to support and express integrated Sponge compatibility.

3. I believe it will still have relevance. As a new influx of users sign onto the sponge project, the community will grow and change as it progresses. Quite soon, the more “long-term” developers and server owners will finally switch over. The pop quiz can be used as a great way for community feedback to further develop and shape the Sponge project.

1. I don’t think so…?
  2. I don’t see a need for it. I think mod developers ought to just explain how their mods integrate with Sponge inside the mod descriptions.
  3. Definitely. It’s a simple way for the community to provide input to the Sponge developers.
  1. No, but that’s probably because i’ve never played on a Sponge server, only failed at coding for one a couple times.
  2. Most definitely. Also a list of bridge plugins for mods that don’t have bridges built in.
  3. Yes. A big bukkit problem (buggit?) was that nobody listened to the community suggestions for features. The more people feel like they have a voice in how this turns out, the more support you will get.
2 Likes