Sponge Docs Pop Quiz #24

Rising from the deep, still clinging to the white whale, it is the

Sponge Docs Pop Quiz #24

Still undergoing assembly, there is always room for fresh ideas and views in the Sponge development process. You can assist us in prodding it with a metaphorical harpoon, merely by lending us you ideas and opinions. Break through the fog with and focus your eyeglass on these questions three.

1. Is a Sponge Region API a sensible idea?
    There has been some debate about whether a Region API can be added to the SpongeAPI, to allow protection plugins etc. to communicate their intentions. There are myriad ways this could be done. What benefits and drawbacks come with them?

2. Any guesses what the final Minecraft 1.9.X version will be?
    It seems that each release is inevitably followed by a series of patches, with modders having to play catch-up. Version 1.8 went as far as 1.8.9, and 1.7 extended to 1.7.10 … how far do you think 1.9.X will drag on?

3. Is the Sponge Permissions API truly mysterious?
    This is the second oldest Issue on the SpongeDocs Repo. Somehow, it has evaded development in all that time, and it’s aura of dread is almost palpable. Are there any here amongst you who dare rise up and slay this fell and glowering beast, lest it drive more devs into madness?

Let these words inspire you to comment, quibble or nod as needs be. Last week’s vessel can still be sighted, drifting into the distance, if ye feel the call to sea again. Until next FLARD-tide, good sailing.

1 Like
  1. I had written it down before in the linked thread and changed my opinion because of the numerous feedback. My current opinion is: The API should provide a way to get the info whether a block is modifiable by a player. Now I honestly don’t see a reason why a plugin wanted to know which regions there are and where and how big they are.

2. Why this question? I think 1.9.4 or 1.9.6.

3. Sorry, I enjoy developing and not writing texts. :sweat_smile:

1. I dunno.
  2. I think 1.10 would take even longer time, so it’s probably 1.9.13 (if counting pre-releases).
  3. Well, I would help to start write at least a stub, but considering my zero knowledge of English grammar… (I bet this post have at least ten mistakes.) And even then, I don’t think I’m professional enough to write official docs.
  1. As I stated in the thread you posted, I’d support a region api, but I worry about it being to restrictive
  2. I’m honestly not sure, it’s really up to the MC devs. I think a surprising amount of work went into the april fools snapshot, so maybe it’ll be pretty quick?
  3. I think the only thing unclear about the permission api is that you don’t necessarily need to implement it to:
    a. Use it
    b. Give permissions
    c. Take permissions
1 Like
  1. IMO, everything should be an API. Sponge should have services for everything, regardless of whether they implement them.
  2. 1.9.4, they seem to have gotten their shit together. 1.8 had huge changes regarding things like JSON text, and they had to release a bunch of exploit fixes. And, the snapshots fixed a ridiculous number of bugs.
  3. Lol I figured it out in five seconds. Maybe I should write the docs. /s
2 Likes
  1. The benefits of a region API is that protection plugins wont conflict as much. It also provides a strong base for protection and maybe provide some functions like preventing waterflow entering the region, or that might be added from a plugin such as WorldGuard. These things must first be decided and might take a long time to plan the practical way of doing such API. If the API will ever be created, I am not sure how it will be done but I would like to have flags like WorldGuard. Maybe sk89q could help? I agree with @pie_flavor that everything should have an API, I mean, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Minigames API in Sponge.
  2. I feel like Minecraft 1.10 will take a long time to release, same as 1.9, it might reach 1.9.7 to 1.9.9. This list will increase in time and might help us estimate how long 1.10 will take.
  3. I figured out Sponge’s Permissions API quickly. But also it is very similar to Bukkit’s permissions system, which I am not a fan of.
1 Like