**Update** Sponge Plugin Competition - Win a copy of Fallout 4!

The new Battlefront maybe? That’d get me cracking on this like crazy :smiley:

Sounds good. What are some of the rough things in the API currently that I may want to avoid?

Me too man, I loved working with Bukkit and when it died, I went to spigot for a while but it’s fading too, I want a better and legal alternative

2 Likes

Oh and are there any suggested licenses? I’m not totally into licenses, I know about the MIT license, and Apache license, and I’ve heard of GPL and stuff, what would be the best?

EDIT: I’ll probably just continue with MIT License unless I hear of a better alternative

We’re using MIT at Sponge, as one can struggle with GPL sometimes (…as Bukkit did for ex).
The API is almost done, however the inventory API is still missing (inventory events work) and the Data API is getting finished right now.

@DsRulesAll
As already stated you’ll dev against the version which is the most current on December 21st 2015. As Zidane has already said: There will be a Sponge beta this year, however no date is set in stone.

1 Like

I know. I was trying to point out that people want to know the usability state of Sponge for writing plugins now, even though the implementation isn’t done. I know people are working hard on finishing it up. I just wanted to make sure that the pieces will mostly be in place with enough time before the competition deadline.

Can it use ASM to create classes using Forge/MCP stuff?

You can’t use ASM to modify base classes, that would be a coremod, use Forge for that.
You could use ASM if you wanted to generate classes on the fly if you really need to.

My objective is to create classes, but am I allowed to use base methods/fields inside the generated classes?

For accessing internal classes from the game, that’s possible in the same way it is when writing your plugin classes normally. I recommend not using ASM for that because the remapper (that runs as part of the build - you need to set this up) won’t map the mcp names to srg names.
I suggest using Forge’s ObfuscationReflectionHelper if needed at runtime, but by this point you’re basically a forge mod.

Yes, and I think Mods / Tweakers (even if their objectives are any type of API for Sponge plugins) are not allowed in the competition, right?
I guess I’ll have to think on something else for this competition…

Am I allowed in the competition with my project? I’ll publish the new version(alpha) in the next weeks.

You can definitely make a coremod as long as you still use SpongeAPI for a large part of functionality.

2 Likes

Note this part ‘You must be 17+ or have signed approval from your parent/guardian.’. :smile:

I don’t think so:

I might try my hand at this, got a few neat ideas I never tried out. Gotta find them in my head again first though.

I feel like a longer time frame would have been better.
Sponge forums isn’t populated enough for people to notice immediately.

Like, I missed this entirely, even though I could have entered.

There is still plenty of time to create and submit something. Roughly an entire month!

1 Like

It is evident that i cannot read. I thought i saw November.

Could I work with one other person?
My boyfriend wants in on this contest too and we collab on a lot of stuff.

I’m asking because a team effort might seem unfair.

2 Likes