Authentication for offline servers like xAuth or AuthMe on Bukkit

A simple Auth plugin for offline (online-mode=false in the server.properties file) servers. Commands would be like:
/login
/register
/changepw
And probably a lot more commands to add more features to it, like email confirmations and admin commands to change passwords and delete accounts.

Would it be possible to be created on Sponge?

I’m going to take a shot in the dark and say offline mode servers aren’t supported.

EDIT: AuthMe-Reloaded Official Thread
EDIT 2: Can I post plugin like that? [AutoIn]

You could simply say that the plugin is an extra security layer. Just don’t say offline mode. It has a bad name and it always will be.

2 Likes

You want a plugin like that? How 'bout SoakSecurity!

Eh, might make that. Simple config entries and commands :smile:

not sure about that. moreso offline mode won’t be supported as backing for a feature in Sponge; I doubt they’ll get rid of the online-mode=false option.

as for the topic, yes; its possible. the current API is more than enough to let someone make that, that someone just needs to make it.

1 Like

Oh, sorry, so should I rename it or just leave it?

Yes, it would be awesome to have a plugin like this, since I’m trying to play with a few people I just met and want to have a bit of security on the server. Sounds great that it’s simple! :smile:

Use online mode?

2 Likes

But the thing is that I want to use online-mode=false

Why is that? You dont want authentication?

In case the auth servers are down and also for small servers that want to be offline mode. :smiley:

Well back when I was very addicted to minecraft. A friend me me hosted a small server on his laptop. But when we are in school there wasn’t wifi or anything to connect us up. We used an ad-hoc network + loginsecurity and played in the pauses that way. For these reasons I totally think such plugin is valid :smile:.

Or if you want to make a friend “try” minecraft. You can temporary set your server in offline mode without worrying about dudes changing there perms or stuff.

Because honestly? Did everyone here just bought the game straight out without trying?

1 Like

No, I have been playing since 1.5 cracked, I just got the “official” copy in 2014

1 Like

Auth servers would rarely be down. Not nearly common enough to destroy your security.

Depends on your location. Ask the chinese folks about that…
And what about bungeecord server?
Or lanparties where no internet is available…

There are plenty of reasons to set a server to onnline=false…
Playing with a pirated MC version is one obviously, too.

If they can’t access MC, can they access sponge…?

Setup your proxies properly.

LAN needs no auth plugin to begin with.

Also, Demo exists, as well as classic.

I have a server that has no auth, however I only use it to build stuff and mess around with world edit, and to host the occasional friend who’s on the LAN…

Offline Mode is still going to be a huge security risk. Having a private server being offline is alright but you can never know what’s going to happen in public since a lot of security layer protection will be disabled.

It isn’t really a huge security risk. Literally the only thing changed is connection to the authentication servers, which can easily be fixed with an authentication plugin like this.

There was hack client that allows you to force op yourself and having none of that extra security layer, it’s more potential to that. Since a client can join and before they login, they can use force op. I saw it happening on a lot of public cracked servers back in 1.6.4. Not sure if there is still that security risk.