i'm currently trying to gather information about the history of Sponge and our mascot Spongie to create a new page on the Docs. I joined the Forums in january and thus don't know much of the things that happened before that date. That's where you (people on the forums) come in. I'm seeking help to get everything sorted and finally commited to GitHub!
History of Sponge itself (i'm trying to be unbiased):
- Aug 21: EvilSeph announced the halt of development of Bukkit on behalf of the Bukkit staff
- Aug 21: jeb_ states that Mojang owns Bukkit.
( https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/502380018216206336 )
- Between Aug22 and Sept12 almost all Bukkit Staff quit, later Curse took over with new staff
- Sept 3: DMCA to CraftBukkit and all forks that share a similar first commit (Spigot. Cauldron, MCPC+) by Wolvereness
( https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2014-09-05-CraftBukkit.md )
- Sept 6: [09:27:20] Firehead94 suggests Sponge as the name for the new API (irc log provided in post#4)
- Devs of Couldron, Bukkit, Spout and ??? (help me out here) decide to create a new "better" API in #nextstep on irc.esper.net
- the SpoutAPI is suggested as a base to create the SpongeAPI
( https://spoutcraft.org/threads/spoutcraft-read-about-the-future.8660/ )
- Sept 7: First commit to sponge API by Zidane
( https://github.com/SpongePowered/SpongeAPI/commit/5a96c646c017fb853ee0260ca2c213445e7acdd6 )
- Sept 7: Initial commit to Granite (will become SpongeVanilla later)
- Sept 8: First commit to Sponge Coremod by Zidane
( https://github.com/SpongePowered/Sponge/commit/9b1d2c83beae2197920fba779291ac0acf35cb7a )
- Sept 10: spongepowered.org is born
( https://twitter.com/SpongePowered/status/509505604390768641 )
- Sept 14: Logo Design Contest is started
( https://forums.spongepowered.org/t/submit-your-logo-design/1260 )
(need help here too)
- Dec 1: API 1.0 is released
- Dec 26: Granite switches to SpongeAPI only
- Mar 26: Granit developers join Sponge; Granite -> SpongeVanilla
- April 20: unification of Granite/Coremod codebase in SpongeCommon begins
- unification in SpongeCommon is done ???
- April 21: API 2.0 is released
- April 26: Dev builds of Sponge Coremod are available
( https://repo.spongepowered.org/maven/org/spongepowered/sponge/ )
History of Spongie (the mascot):
need further input here
- Old Spongie mascot was first posted in #Sponge on Esper.net and on Reddit
( http://www.reddit.com/r/spongeproject/comments/2fpugb/sponge_mascot_posted_by_isi_in_sponge_drawn_by/ )
- The user strad removed the Bukket, replaced Spigot with Spout and Cauldron with Forge plus added an antenna
- an anonymous user removed all labels and setup spongie as the default reddit icon
- (old) Spongie wasn't vector art, thus Sponge staff decided to create a new mascot
- the first draft of new Spongie was posted
( NEED LINK! )
- a second friendlier version was created
- both versions were posted in State of Spongie:
Look up exact dates and content of the SoS1 to 4.
Look up API Version releasedates
PLEASE keep this thread to facts. i don't want drama in here, just unbiased information!
Thank you !
Relevant Issue on the Docs: https://github.com/SpongePowered/SpongeDocs/issues/262