Hey guys, I have been away recently due to busy exams in school, so I haven’t been on the Sponge Forums for well over 2 months now. I have missed you all very much, but I am back and here to stay. If you have read some of my previous posts here, you will know I have a team of very helpful builders, managers, testers and everything you need to make and run a Minecraft Server, although we lack the programmers. XD
I have only been able to host a server which I opened when I could as I ran it form my laptop, it is a very powerful laptop so don’t underestimate it. I like all of this techy stuff, so I get the very best I can. Besides the point, I have recently acquired 2 Raspberry Pi 2 machines, and all the parts needed to run, cool and manage the system.
The server will now be permanently running and working on the Raspberry Pis, if you are wondering what I did, read below:
To start with I had to get the things to actually make this happen, listed below:
- 2 Raspberry Pi Machines
- 2 Fast Ethernet Cables
- 1 2 Gigabit Switch
- 2 32GB SanDisk Class 10 SD Cards
- 2 Micro USB to USB Cables
- 1 Powered USB Hub
- 2 Mini RPi Fans
- 2 Sets of Aluminium Heat Sinks (containing 2 large heatsinks, and 4 medium sized heat sinks, 2 for the cpu and the other 4 for the ram and bridges)
- Other computer programs such as putty
This currently Bukkit server is running with almost no faults, if not any, of course once the Sponge API server is available, it will be much less weight on the PIs meaning more performance. Yay!
This server is fully capable of running up to 75 players without considerable frame rate drop or tick drops, everyone who is able to run Minecraft at an average of 60-100fps on their own or others servers, should expect roughly 50-80 frames on this server once its opened to the public. We have based this information off the stress testing we have been preforming on the server at maximum load, so these estimates are pretty accurate.
If you have any questions about how I did this, comment below, I will be happy to answer!
By the way, the only server file I had before CraftBukkit was shutdown was the 1.7.5 version, so its a little updated, but it works like a dream. I will update when a stable version of Sponge is released.