What is FLARD?

I am currently doing translation work on SpongeDocs, but I stumbled upon the word FLARD.
Use only as directed; excessive use of FLARD may rot your socks.
Can someone explain exactly what it is, so I can try to translate it?
BTW, I am translating it into Norwegian Bokmål, so if anyone knows a fitting word, I’ll just put it in.

3 Likes

Just leave it as it is. Actually there’s no need to translate it :wink:

@Inscrutable is the right person to explain FLARD.

2 Likes

FLARD is extremely volatile, and even translating it might set off all kinds of adverse effects. Leave it alone, and it might not notice your presence :slightly_smiling:

On a side note: glad to see someone pick up the bokmål-translation! It was about to die a horrible death due to inactivity :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yggdrasyl Laboratories have had our best chemical engineers, biotechnicians and alternative philosophers working on this problem for … a long time. We have several valid answers, but they are somewhat contradictory. Suffice to say that the substance has emergent properties, and may even be capable of warping language used to describe it.

FLARD. As it says in the Pirate Translations; leave it alone and it’ll probably leave you alone.

5 Likes

I’ve been on the forums for several months now, and I’ve learned one thing about it: the definition is basically kept as “don’t ask, don’t tell”.

4 Likes

So, it’s one of those bugs that’s unnoticeable as long as you don’t touch affected code?.. And any little change in code will cause chain reaction, and bug will raise its ugly head?

1 Like

That information is classified.

FLARD is a trademark of Yggdrasyl Laboratories. Any attempts to translate, alter, define or name your offspring after it will be met with both legal and paramilitary retribution.

4 Likes

Serious Mode since this may actually affect the quality of the docs: FLARD is an inside jokes of sort, and isn’t a proper word in English. It’s meaning hasn’t ever really be explained except in vague circumstances, and I don’t think anyone really knows what it is, they just have fun describing an imaginary unstable substance that does stuff. FLARD is potentially harmful.

6 Likes

Will give cookies to anyone who hacks into Yggdrasyl Laboratories to get the true definition of FLARD. :wink:

2 Likes

FLARD may or may not be SCP-447-2.

5 Likes

Emitted from a spongy ball? If I weren’t afraid of the FLARD’s vengeance, I might have said this is close to conclusive evidence!

2 Likes

It may come into contact with a dead body if I slam my head repeatedly into my computer screen while attempting to decipher an undocumented section of the API. Experiment Log 447-A leads me to believe this would be a bad thing.

1 Like

Some of these mysteries may be deeper than the nature of FLARD, such that only the wise dare meddle in them without risk of becoming forever entangled in the hidden mysteries of the universe, or losing their socks. Whomsoever may resolve these ancient quests shall be blessed of the FLARD (or not, as they so choose).